Confusing?

Discussion in 'British Army' started by mugwortismy cat, Sep 18, 2022.

1. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

So I have a brother-in-law of my cousin born in Yeovil as Arthur George Ricketts

I have found Army records for him as George Arthur and as George Albert Ricketts, they both have the same army number and both name his mother as Mrs Rice (she had been widowed and remarried)

Not only that but each set of records have a different death date, George Arthur appears to have died in Apr 1916 in the UK, and George Albert in Dec 1916 in Iraq

The CWGC only have the second set of information, and it seems logical to conclude that the later date must be correct. It is just puzzling...

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

What is the source for the UK record?

3. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

I've just looked at one record on FMP - George Albert, Dorsetshire regiment, no. 8317 - died between April and December 1916, whose mother was Mrs Alice Giles.

Daft Bat likes this.
  4. mugwortismy cat

UK, World War I Pension Ledgers and Index Cards-- has him as Arthur George with the earlier death date. This is on Ancestry, but the full record with image would be on Fold3 and I don't have a sub for that. There are two records with one not mentioning a place and the second saying Military Service Region = South West, Military Country = England. So I took that to mean he died in SW England, though I am probably wrong

Yes, that's him, with his alternative name.

Sorry I misremembered his mother's surname in my op, should have double-checked

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
    Daft Bat and Jellylegs like this.
  5. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Yes, I think that the reference to England is just referring to the country for which he fought rather than where he died. :)

mugwortismy cat likes this.
  6. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I don’t know if this is of any help, but in the Western Times of the 27th June 1916, under the heading ‘Surrendered at Kut - West Country Territorials in the Hands of the Turks’, the list of names includes ‘Dorset Regt, G. A. Ricketts (Yeovil)’

7. mugwortismy cat

Ah, I think that is a great help. Perhaps the Apr 1916 date is "Missing, presumed Dead" and then in Jun 1916 he is confirmed as captured, then he dies in Dec 1916

Half Hour, Jellylegs and AnnB like this.
  8. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

That makes perfect sense :)

9. Andromeda

Andromeda Well-Known Member

The Fold3 record with the DoD transcribed as 29 Apr 1916 actually says 'Date & Cause of Death: 29/4/16 - 31/12/16 Missing'. It also says Alice Giles is his stepmother.

Under date & cause of death for the second record it just says '1915 presumed'. This one says Alice is his mother and aged 52.

The register of soldier's effects also says death presumed between 29/4/16-31/12/16.

Although the British under General Townsend surrendered on 29 April, I don't think there was a confirmation of the names of the men, just those who were "believed to have been taken the Turks". Reports say there were 13,300 men under his command.

Ma-dotcom, Half Hour, Eve and 3 others like this.
  10. mugwortismy cat