Cottage Hospital, Shirrell Heath, Hants

Discussion in 'Medical' started by annabel, Nov 1, 2015.

1. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

There is a lady I have just discovered was the 2nd wife of my gg uncle, they married in 1952. He died in 1963 in Shirrell Heath, but I have absolutely no idea of his wife's birth date, so there is a small possibility she still lives. I guess that means I can't put his name up either.

All I know is that she worked at the above hospital as a nurse in WWII with "Miss Hearne" who was the matron.

I would like to find out more about her, but I don't know where to look

2. PeterG

PeterG Well-Known Member

3. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman

If your GGUncle was Henry Charles XXXSON and his wife was Rose XXXTON then there must be a very good chance that she is the Rose who was born in Bishop's Waltham in 1895. Bishop's Waltham is only just over 3 miles from Shirrell Heath.
    She is on the 1911 Census living as a domestic servant at a household in Ewhurst, Surrey. She is on the 1901 Census living with her family in Bishop's Waltham. Her father is Charles E XXXTON who is a Thatcher. His name and occupation should appear on her marriage certificate.

If this is right then there is a Rose XXXSON who died in the 4th Quarter of 1987 on the Isle of Wight which fits quite well.

There is an anomaly in that her death registration gives her date of birth as 25 January 1896 but her birth registration gives her birth in the 3rd Quarter of 1895 but that could be because Rose had not given her correct date of birth to the person registering it.

So if the marriage certificate has her father's name and occupation and she is described as a spinster then this is probably her. If it is then you can go public with their names and we can all try and help you flesh out her life.

I hope there's something in this that you can tease out!!

Mealymoo likes this.
  4. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

Well how clever of you. Those are the people I was talking about. I do not have the marriage certificate, but I do know that she was a spinster.

If she was born in 1896 then I think I'm safe to say that she was Rose Weston who married Henry Charles Watson. It's just occurred to me that nurses couldn't marry, so that might explain why she was a spinster til she was 56. He married her 9 months after his first wife Alice died at Shirrell Heath, maybe at the same hospital if it was open then

I also know she had a brother E J Weston from a newspaper report of Henry's funeral. There is an Edwin G Weston with her family in the 1901 census. I guess the newspaper reporter could have heard wrong

Flook likes this.