Cottingham and Desborough websites

Discussion in 'Northamptonshire' started by TonyV, Aug 23, 2013.

1. TonyV

TonyV He who cleans up after his ancestors...

I appreciate that what follows is only likely to be of interest to a few and maybe not to any current members of Top Dog but I'd like nevertheless to recommend three excellent non-commercial sites to anyone who may have ancestors from the Northamptonshire villages above.

The first is www.afamilystory.co.uk by L Ellis. Although the site started as a personal family site the author has since established it in effect as a village genealogy site for Desborough. The range of information is astonishing and a vast amount of work has been put into it. The site itself is extremely well indexed and easy to use, making good use of website technology.

The first of two great sites concerned with the lovely village of Cottingham is http://www.craxford-family.co.uk/indexnew.php. Although it is essentially a site about the Craxford family it also contains a wealth of information about other families from the village and is well worth a look.

Lastly a lovely site about the same village http://www.cottinghamhistory.co.uk/ does not seem to have been updated for a while but it remains a thoroughly attractive site full of pictures and historic information about the village.

Enjoy

Tony

2. Doug

Doug Administrator. The Main Man. Staff Member

Thanks Tony.

3. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

I have family in Desborough - thank you for that.

4. TonyV

TonyV He who cleans up after his ancestors...

If you look at the transcriptions of Parish records have a look at the Parish Oddities. They're great fun and a little sad too. All transcribed and copyright of the website owner L Ellis of course as well as Northants Record Office. I only wish that some other county record offices would try to catch up with the digital age. Some are very good and others lamentable for no good reason other than lack of ambition.