Couln't find her birth.

Discussion in 'BMD Certificates' started by The Artful Dodger, Oct 7, 2018.

1. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

In the 1939 England and Wales Register, I have Eunice Williams born 21 Jan. 1915 along with her siblings - Augustus born 21 Aug. 1916 and Catherine born 3 Jun. 1919 and parents Sarah Jane [nee Evans] and Stephen Williams, who were married 2nd q. 1915 in Rhayader, Radnorshire.

At the time of her birth her siblings parents weren't married. I have birth reg. for
    Augustus - Q4 - Rhayader, Vol. 11b, page 192, MMN Evans
    Catherine - Q3 - Rhayader, Vol. 11b, page 196 MMN Evans

Nothing showed in the GRO so my thoughts were that the registration was missed or that another option was available, so went looking for a Eunice EVANS [mmn Evans] born in Rhayader in Q1, vol. 11b, page 216

Is there any chance she could be just base-born or can we prove her father's identity? It would appear Eunice died in Ludlow, Shropshire in Q1, vol. 9a, page 147.

2. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Not sure you would be able to prove that Stephen was the father. If it's not on the birth certificate then it's almost impossible. Unless it is written in the margin of the baptism register.

Stephen and Sarah have 4 children

In 1939 they were living at Bache Farm, Ludlow, Shropshire, where Stephen was a farmer.

Eunice Williams, 21st Jan 1915
    Augustus S, Williams, 21st Aug 1916
    Elizabeth M Williams, 3rd Oct 1917
    Catherine E (Eileen), Williams, 3rd Jun 1919

The Artful Dodger likes this.
  3. Brentor boy

Brentor boy Member

I am confused. What exactly are you looking for?
    The registration of Eunice's birth is recorded both on Free BMD and GRO Index, which you have found. The presence of a MMN on BMD, and an absence on GRO suggests the mother was unmarried, which matches with what you know.

If you are hoping to discover the name of the her father, Chimp has already pointed out that is very unlikely.

Chimp likes this.
  4. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

I know what I was looking for. Chimp has provided the missing detail I was after.

Not likely I'll get anything better so will leave father as UNKNOWN.

Chimp likes this.