county limerick Heal(e)y family

Discussion in 'Munster' started by she04, Jan 31, 2015.

1. she04

she04 Active Member

My gran was born in kildimo, co.limerick in the region of Munster in 1912. Her name was Hanna or Anna Maria Theresa Healy/Healey. She was 1 of 16+ children. All I know is her mum nee Bolan. My gran had an older brother called Patrick who married a Mary. She ran away from home when her mum died giving birth, she didn't fancy looking after all the kids, so her sister Helena had to. My gran came to Liverpool with a sister. Any help on finding where she was born it could be a farm with perhaps the name red in it. Thanks x

2. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Do you have her marriage certificate to your grandfather? That would at least give her father's name and his profession which should make it slightly easier, in theory at least, to trace her backwards.

This is very speculative given that we do not know a lot about your great grandparents, but Ancestry's 1911 Irish census shows a HEALEY family living in Abbeyfeale, Limerick:

Patrick HEALEY aged 41
    Ellen do aged 44
    Daniel do aged 15
    Cornelius do aged 11
    Ellen do aged 9

As I said, very speculative, but the father's name could perhaps indicate that he may have named a son Patrick and there is a daughter Ellen, but there is no son Patrick living with them.

Another possibility is this family in the 1901 census of Ballybrood, Kilmurry, Limerick:

Thomas HEALEY 39
    Johanna do 32
    Bridget do 9
    Michael do 6
    Mary do 3
    Patrick do 1

Thomas & Johanna are in the 1911 census of Killeagh, Limerick in the 1911 census with additional children Norah 8 and Edward 6.

However, without knowing the father of your grandmother, it is a bit like looking for needles in a haystack.

Janet

she04 likes this.
  3. she04

she04 Active Member

My gran never married my grandfather as he was already married n never divorced till 1978, me gran died 3 months later. She changed her name by deed poll to his wife's name Florence Bourne n they pretended they were married, till they revealed truth to my dad day before he was getting married. Thank you for your info, I will try n find out if this Johanna is nee Bolan.

4. she04

she04 Active Member

Update, this is looking a likey possibility due to more info given to me from my aunt. She is adamant that there is a sister norah. Xx

5. janetbooth

There is a birth registration in the June qtr 1903 at Limerick for an Hanoria HEALY who could perhaps be the sister of your Gran?? Can't find any baptisms unfortunately - so far.

Janet

6. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

The birth registration shows that she is the daughter of Thomas and Johanna (Formerly LOFTUS) of Ballyrood, born 25th March.

7. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

13th April 1925 has a Patrick HEALY marrying a Mary WHITE in Limerick. Father of Patrick is also Patrick, deceased Harness Maker.

Could that be a likely one?

8. janetbooth

Thanks, Jan. So that probably ties in with the Thomas HEALEY & Johanna I found in the 1901/1911 census records in Limerick. Sounds as if it is not the correct family for She, then. Marriage registration in December qtr 1890 at Limerick for a Thomas HEALY and one of the other names on the page is that of a Johanna LOFTUS.

Janet

Daft Bat likes this.
  9. janetbooth

There is a Patrick HEALEY in the 1911 census of Limerick who is shown as aged 53, a Saddler, married to a Hannah, with children Patrick, aged 16, also a Saddler, Michael, Mary, William & Greta, all living at Upper Denmark Street. This Patrick HEALEY snr looks as if he may have married a Hannah FITZGERALD at Limerick in the September qtr 1893 - aargh!

So far I have had a conspicuous lack of success in finding a male HEALEY/HEALY who married a female BOLAN. However, I wonder if an Ireland Petty Sessions report in 1903 in which a Const(able) C BOLAN of Kildimo made a complaint.........., could be relevant to you. However, again I do not seem to be able to find him - I assume it is a he - in census records.

Janet

Daft Bat likes this.