coventrie/ coventry

Discussion in 'Kinross-shire' started by kevynne, Jun 4, 2015.

1. kevynne

kevynne New Member

Iam researching my Coventry ancestors from around Kinross , Scotland.
    I have William Coventry who was baptised in 1789, father was William. His son was born in 1818 and named Andrew.I am thinking of the Scottish naming system and there are several William and Andrews in the Kinross area. I would like to hear from others who are researching the Coventry name so that I know which line I should be researching. I have been told that all of the Coventries/ Coventrys are related.
    Any help is appreciated thank you.

2. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

from FamilySearch:
    Name: William Coventry
    Christening Date: 19 Nov 1789
    Christening Place: ORWELL,KINROSS,SCOTLAND
    Birth Date: 19 Sep 1789
    Father's Name: William Coventry
    Mother's Name: Mary Chambers

Siblings: (all born/christened at Orwell)
    Name: Margaret Coventry Birth Date: 18 May 1787
    Name: Janet Coventry Birth Date: 26 Apr 1785
    Name: Thomas Coventry Birth Date: 16 May 1792
    Name: Marion Coventry (f) Birth Date: 16 Aug 1782

Does this look like the correct William, son of William?

Strategy-wise, any information that you know about siblings, spouses, occupations, military service, etc. Can help.

I'll keep looking at this particular family to see where it leads...

3. kevynne

kevynne New Member

Thank you very much for you help, I think that is probably my William. Is it possible to find a marriage for him to Janet Mailler please. I have looked but can't find anything. Their only child was Andrew Coventry born in 1818 in Orwell.
    Thanks
    Kevynne

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2015
    GrannyBarb likes this.
  4. GrannyBarb

Based on the 1841 census on FreeCen, all the Coventry households are cotton weavers and related occupations.

I did a free Wills search at Scotland's People. None of the William's looked likely. :oops: If you have the ability to purchase credits, targeted searches of the OPR's can reveal quite a bit, but haphazard searches get expensive pretty quickly.

5. kevynne

kevynne New Member

both William and Janets occupation were cotton weavers on the 1841 census.
    It appears that janet died in 1851 and William immigrated to Australia with his son in 1852.

GrannyBarb likes this.
  6. GrannyBarb

Thanks for that additional information. Hmmm. I did some searching, but haven't come up with a marriage yet. Do you have an Ancestry sub? If not, their UK collection is free this weekend and they might have something. I'll keep poking around this evening (it's nighttime here) to see what else I can find.

7. GrannyBarb

Nope. No joy. :oops: :headbang: Going to bed now. Nite nite. ;)

8. kevynne

kevynne New Member

Thanks for your help. Have a good sleep and I will search the free ancestry.
    cheers
    kevynne

GrannyBarb likes this.
  9. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

Hello there Kevynne and welcome

I cannot see a marriage either.

However there seem to be no marriages whatsoever recorded for Orwell parish between 5 Jan 1793 and Dec 1854 on SP Old Parish Records (or on Family search). I don't know if records existed but have been lost or if marriages took place elsewhere at that time.

Other options are that the couple never married or married in a church which was not Church of Scotland. Genuki notes a Free Church and a United Presbyterian Church in the area.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy the forum!:)

GrannyBarb likes this.
  10. kevynne

kevynne New Member

Hi Grizel,
    Thanks for your reply. I remember that at Milnathort where Willam and Janett Coventry lived there is an old church which has been made into a private home .Unfortunately I don't know what church it was. Their son Andrew later married into a Methodist family in Stirling. If William and janett were Methodist would they have been part of a free church which was possibly nonconformist or of the churchof Scotland. I will look at the genuki notes.
    Thanks
    kevynne

GrannyBarb likes this.
  11. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Looking at FMP there are only a few marriages for William 1814-1816 none of which have a Janet, unless that was her 2nd name. 3 show in Kinross- (I only stipulated Scotland)

Is it possible that in 1841 he was living with his sister Janet ? No Janet Maillers want to show up in marriages in the area & FMP keeps swinging over to Miller!

GrannyBarb likes this.
  12. kevynne

kevynne New Member

Hello Wendy,
    I admit that I am having a bit of a guess at William and Janets marriage as their only child was born in 1818 in Orwell. It is possible that they didn't marry,but I have Williams death certificate which says he was widower in 1864 but I don't have janets as yet. She was born in 1782 the daughter of david mailler. Davids fathers name appears as Mallor in the earlier records. Although the records show janet as being born in Kinross, that could mean the county not necessary the town. Janet and William were living in Milnathort in 1850 and Willam immigrated to Australia in 1852 so it would seem that may have die in1850-51.
    s name appears in records of allor

Ma-dotcom and GrannyBarb like this.
  13. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

Hello again

I have had another look around. Looking at National Records of Scotland online catalogue would seem to confirm that no Church of Scotland marriage records for Orwell or Milnathort are held for your time period. If William and Janet did marry in that parish then the record may no longer exist.

However NRS do hold some church records for various other churches in Milnathort and Orwell, although the catalogue does not say if these records include marriages. Have a look at the online catalogue to obtain ref numbers. Unfortunately the actual records are not online. NRS may be able to advise further.

Chimp and GrannyBarb like this.
  14. kevynne

kevynne New Member

thanks so much for your reply and help. They were my 4x great grandparents so I don't really mind if they got married or not , we're family.