Crimean War - Service Records

Discussion in 'Other Conflicts' started by Stafford, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Stafford

Stafford Well-Known Member

Joseph Hall b. 1833 in Great Missenden, Buckinghamshire, served in the 90th Foot Regiment in Crimea. Above him on the Ancestry.com. UK, Military Campaign Medal and Award Rolls, 1793-1949 is John Hall.

John Hall, Joseph's brother, is one of my brick walls. John, b. 1831 in Great Missenden, disappears together with his brother William b.1829 after the 1851 census. (I have another thread looking for them but cannot link it here).
    (It can be found here. :) Jan)

Without service records I cannot be sure I have found John.

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Although there is no significant collection of Crimean service records available online, some commercial websites do have a few. However, there are some records held by different County Archives and so it might be best to check out their holdings.

As John came from Great Missenden, perhaps try the Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies. If they are not able to help, maybe they could point you in the right direction. :)

3. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

In the 1860 United States Federal Census there are two John Hall's - both birthplace England {so I guess it could be anywhere]. Residence - Newcastle Delaware, United States. The second address is given as New York United States. Sorry I couldn't look further as I do not have a worldwide membership. Is there a possibility he could have emigrated?

4. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

On the same census There is also a William Hall about 1829 England address given as Newport, Rhode Island, United States Not sure if this will be of any use or not though it is a bit vague as to where they are from.

Stafford likes this.
  5. Stafford

Stafford Well-Known Member

Thanks Gillyflower,
    I treated myself to a World Wide membership for one month only, which is why I'm desperately rushing to solve many of my brickwalls. I've considered emigration and will take a closer look at the records you found.

This side of my husband's family, including his grandfather, Great grandfather and various great uncles and distant cousins, were very involved with the military. With a name as common as Hall, especially John Hall, finding him is rather difficult.

6. Evelyn

Evelyn New Member

You may also want to look in the British Newspaper Archives for Crimean Way casualties and wounded. That is where I found one of my ancestors listed. Also it goes without saying that you have searched outside the 'home' county on the census. My ancestor, born in Lincolnshire, was found in Cardiff, Wales in barracks in 1851. Lists of Chelsea pensioners may also prove useful.

Stafford, Joanne and GrannyBarb like this.