David Duffin and wife Mary

Discussion in 'Lincolnshire' started by Peregrine, May 3, 2020.

1. Peregrine

Peregrine Well-Known Member

I am struggling to sort out David Duffin, his wife Mary, possibly née Deering, and their children. In part, this is because there was another David and Mary Duffin living in Hampshire in the same era that many people have taken to be them. The David and Mary I am interested in were from Wainfleet St Mary in Liconolnshire.

I have David baptised at Wainfleet St Mary on 30 Apr 1786, parents William and Elizabeth. In 1823 David can be found in the Poll books at Wainfleet St Mary and his occupation is given as Yeoman.

I have a possible death for Mary in first quarter 1852 registered at Grantham. I cannot find a birth for a Mary Deering but only picked up her maiden name from other trees. I cannot find a marriage for David and Mary. However, I have found the following children all baptised Wainfleet St Mary:

Elizabeth bap. 7 Jan 1810
    William bap. 16 Jun 1811
    Jane bap. 1 Feb 1813
    Robert bap. 6 Nov 1814
    David bap. 20 Oct 1816
    Stephen bap. 20 Jan 1823

Regarding David’s parents I have William Duffin bap. 19 Aug 1753 father John Duffin and mother Anne ? I have Elizabeth Duffin bap. 13 May 1753 father David Duffin and mother Mary Bannister married 22 Jul 1747. William and Elizabeth were married 13 May 1753. All at Wainfleet St Mary. If these details are correct I wonder what the relationship is between the two Duffin families.

I’d appreciate assistance to confirm when David Duffin married Mary Deering and confirmation of her maiden name. Also confirmation of their deaths. Can anyone assist? Apart from Ancestry and Family Search I don’t know where else to search for Lincolnshire records, is there another reliable online resource?

2. Sue036

Sue036 Well-Known Member

FMP have quite a lot of Lincolnshire records.

Another, free, option is FreeReg.

I'm not familiar with the area so these marriages may be in the wrong part of Lincolnshire, but both of the above websites give the following marriages for a David Duffin and Mary ? :-

David DUFFIN & Mary Drury, Marriage 12 Dec 1808, Hameringham, All Saints

David DUFFIN & Mary PENNINGTON, Marriage 07 Aug 1811, Boston, St Botolph

I can't see a Mary Deering, but haven't done an exhaustive check.

I am afraid that the new GRO index on their website gives the age at death for the Mary Duffin at Grantham as 0 :(

Name: Age at Death (in years):
    DUFFIN,
    MARY 0
    GRO Reference: 1852 M Quarter in GRANTHAM UNION Volume 07A Page 283

Sue

Elsiesgirl and Peregrine like this.
  3. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Daughter Jane Hobson née Duffin death Register in 1890 has father David Duffin and mother Mary Deering. BDM Victoria. So registered as Deering back then.

Elsiesgirl and Peregrine like this.
  4. Peregrine

Mis
    Missed the age, somehow

5. Peregrine

As Jane is the one I am following through to later descendants I should have remembered that. Thanks

Archie's Mum likes this.
  6. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

You’re welcome;)

7. Peregrine

Found a possible death for Mary Duffin nee Deering; buried 10 Jan 1878 in Lincoln, age 84 suggesting she was born 1794 and had her first child age 16. Also found a number of Mary “Dring” baptisms in various towns in Lincolnshire, none particularly close or at Wainfleet St Mary.

Sue036 likes this.
  8. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

The second marriage that Sue found for you in post 2, i.e. David DUFFIN & Mary PENNINGTON states that both were widowed, so could Mary PENNINGTON's maiden name have been DEERING - just a thought. Not that I can find anything to back up this theory at the moment. Son Stephen is shown as a Baker in the 1861 census of Spalding living at Sheep Market with wife Susannah, sister in law Martha CROFT and apprentice William SHORTLAND. Their marriage was registered at Spilsby in the June qtr 1848.

Son Robert is living in Lewisham, Kent in the 1851 census (HO107/1591, folio 585, page 4) and is described as a Cow Keeper living with wife Sarah and 6 children all born Sydenham. The birth registration of their son James shows his mother's maiden name as SKEET. Their marriage looks to have taken place at Croydon, Surrey on 25 December 1838 but Robert's surname is shown as DUFFIELD & his father as David DUFFIELD, Butcher.

Aha, at long last I think I have managed to find David senior, thanks to the above marriage entry. He is living in Tilney St Lawrence, Norfolk in the 1851 census (HO107/1767, folio 164, page 17) lodging in the household of Samuel & Hannah STANFIELD at Wind Mill and is described as a 61 year old widowed Butcher born in Wainfleet St Mary. Needless to say, I cannot find him in the 1841 or 1861 census records! However, what may be relevant to you, given where son Robert is living in the 1851 census, is a death registration in the March qtr 1856 at Lewisham reg district for a David DUFFIN, aged 68. Burial record on Ancestry on 4 February 1856 at Lewisham Christ Church with St Paul for a David DUFFIN, High Street, aged 68.

Not having too much luck with Mary at the moment, but if I have the correct David she must have died somewhere between 1823 and 1851.

Janet

Peregrine and Sue036 like this.
  9. Sue036

Sue036 Well-Known Member

The ages at death for registrations before 1865 have only been available since the new online index was published by the GRO, and this additional data is not reflected in copies of the original GRO index on all other sites. So to be fair it's more than likely you'd not have seen it.

Peregrine and mugwortismy cat like this.
  10. janetbooth

Looking further for the burial of a Mary DUFFIN between 1823 & 1851, I have come across a burial at Wainfleet St Mary on 28 July 1826 for a Mary DUFFIN, Wainfleet St Mary, aged 44, so could this perhaps be your Mary nee DEERING? Two possible candidates for a Mary DRING born c1782: baptism at Sutton St James on 7 May 1780 daughter of John & Susanna DRING and one at Sutton St Mary on 26 June 1784, daughter of James & Susanna DRING, Labourer. However, there is also a burial shown at Sutton St Mary on 29 June 1784 for a Mary daughter of James & Susanna DRING, infant, so that removes her as a possible candidate for your Mary DUFFIN nee DEERING.

There is a burial at Sutton St Mary on 29 March 1788 for a John DRING, Farmer, which could be relevant. Also a PCC Will on Ancestry for a John DRING of Sutton St Mary, also married to a Susan, who looks to be the brother of Mary, baptised 11 July 1770 son of John & Susanna DRING, Grazier, but unfortunately it does not mention anyone of relevance to you.

Janet

Sue036 likes this.
  11. Peregrine

Yes I do have Stephen and his wife Martha CROFT and I have Robert and his wife Sarah. I did find the 1851 census entry for David but did not link it with being where Robert was living and I was put off by the change in occupation from Yeoman to Butcher for David, if only I had seen the marriage entry! The census marital status of widower for David puts paid to the death for Mary that many trees have adopted of 1852 at Grantham. David’s death in 1856 seems spot on, thank you.

Sue036 likes this.
  12. Peregrine

I have added these John and Susanna DRINGs to my tree and will investigate further. At this stage it looks like that John Senior married Susannah Hicks and John junior married Susannah Madison 29 Dec 1808. They all lived at Long Sutton / Sutton St Mary , but other trees have John Jnr buried 6 Jun 1830

The 1826 burial for Mary Duffin nee Deering is a strong possibility, but Inworry that the birth at Sutton St Mary seems a little too far away for someone who then marries and lives at Wainfleet St Mary. I note some trees have picked up a Mary Drury as David Duffins wife. Might have to look into that too. That said they are all a little too far removed to spend a great deal of time on, I was just reviewing them after someone contacted me about them. It’s hard deciding where to cut the line sometimes.

13. janetbooth

Oh, you are not alone in that respect! I frequently - in fact very frequently - go off at tangents and research remote twigs in my family, but having said that, such research does often provide gems of information that connect in to much closer branches that I might otherwise have missed.

Janet