David James, Clerkenwell

Discussion in 'Newspapers & Other Publications' started by Blackmogs, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Blackmogs

Blackmogs Moderator. General Dogs(cats)body. Staff Member

I have David, allegedly born 1809 Bermondsey, married to Mary Ann Pulley (sic). He is in the 1861 and she is widowed in 1871. In 1861 they are living in Clerkenwell and in 1871 she is living in Bethnal Green. FreeBMD has no burials for a David James between 1861 and 1871 but does have one in Bethnal green 1863 so I sent for the 'stificate. This says that David was a labourer who died a violent death from a fall and there was an inquest on 6th October 1863. He died on 28th September 1863.

I dont think this is my chap as he was a watch pinion maker. I wondered whether there were any newspaper reports of the grisly death in case I can rule him back in.

2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Does this fit?

Name:
    David James
    Birth Date: abt 1809
    Death Date: abt 1871
    Burial Date: 7 Dec 1871
    Burial Place: Kingston Upon Thames, All Saints, Surrey, England
    Parish as it Appears: Kingston Upon Thames
    David James burial !871.JPG

3. Blackmogs

Thanks Wedny, I saw this one, but he died in December 1871 so should have been around for the census that year so I ruled him out. Ive looked at possibles in London or Middlesex but the ages dont fit. This one was perfect spart from the death date.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  4. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Here you go :)
    London Evening Standard 6th October 1863
    An inquiry was held by Mr H. Raffles Walthew, the deputy coroner, last night at the Green Man Tavern, Cambridge Heath-road, respecting the death of a man named David James.—Mr Halvey the landlord of the Crown public-house, Parliament-street, Cambridge Heath, said that the deceased kept some fancy puppies in his loft. While going for them on Sunday week he fell down through a trap-door, and was seriously injured. He was conveyed to his home where he lingered for a week. —The Coroner read a letter that had been forwarded to him, which stated that the deceased had been habitually and brutally ill treated by his grown-up sons, who used to knock him down and stamp on him. The writer of the letter stated the deceased’s death had been really brought about that ill-usage, and that while lying disabled no medical attention was procured for him. The Witness knew nothing of the matter. He could not recognise the handwriting of the letter.—Anne James, 3, Parliament-court, widow of the deceased, deposed that her late husband had been brought home seriously injured. He said that he had fallen from a loft. He died the ensuing Monday week.—By the Coroner: No doctor had been sent for until he was dying. She would swear that deceased himself had refused to allow a medical man to be sent for. He also refused to go hospital, and he used bad language when he was urged. One of his sons had struck him. She could not say how recently. It might, perhaps, have been four months ago. Deceased was only struck because he had his hands on his son’s throat. She would swear that he was not habitually beaten or trampled on.—The Coroner having summed up, the Jury, after some deliberation, returned verdict of Accidental Death.

Ma-dotcom, Blackmogs and Bay Horse like this.
  5. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

As were my Clerkenwell people (who moved between there, Coventry and Prescot, the centres of the watchmaking industry). I threw that in as if your watchmaker disappears from one town he could pop up in one of the other two?

Oof, poor chap, Ann.

AnnB and Blackmogs like this.
  6. Blackmogs

Thanks, I'll check that out immediately.

7. Blackmogs

Good Lord! Poor chap but this confirms he wasn't mine I think. Thanks Ann xx

AnnB likes this.
  8. AnnB

I'm intrigued by the 'fancy puppies'......:rolleyes:

Blackmogs and Bay Horse like this.
  9. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

Me too. I half-forgot the rest of the report - too busy wondering about fancy puppies.

Blackmogs likes this.
  10. AnnB

:D

11. Blackmogs

Kept in the attic though whats that about? Off to try the places Bay Horse suggested fir the real David

Bay Horse and AnnB like this.
  12. Blackmogs

No liley candidates in Coventry or Prescott. Another one to remain undiscovered,

Bay Horse likes this.