David Llewellyn of Easton Royal

Discussion in 'Wiltshire' started by euryalus, Jul 31, 2015.

1. euryalus

euryalus Well-Known Member

I have been undertaking some research about the Marlborough area, while at the same time reading about the famous Confederate warship CSS Alabama, which was built in Birkenhead and crewed, at least in part, by British seamen. Quite by chance, I discovered a link between these two diverse subjects insofar as Assistant Surgeon David Llewellyn, son of the perpetual curate of Easton Royal, served aboard the Alabama throughout her eventful two-year career. During the final battle between the CSS Alabama and the USS Kearsarge, Llewellyn insisted that all of the wounded should be loaded into the remaining lifeboats, an action which cost him his life - he was drowned as the ship sunk off Cherbourg on 19 June 1864. David Llewellyn was an ex-pupil of Marlborough College, while the story of the Alabama inspired the sea shanty Roll Alabama Roll.

Chimp and Sis like this.
  2. euryalus

euryalus Well-Known Member

Have just discovered that David Herbet Llewellyn, MD., was awarded the Confederate Medal of Honor for his actions during the sinking of the Alabama on 19 June 1864. There is also a memorial to him in his father's church at Easton, which I hope to visit in due course.

Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.