David Middleton Wood and the missing parents.

Discussion in 'London' started by 3femmes, Jul 2, 2020.

1. 3femmes

3femmes Active Member

Hi All,
    I have decided to swap to difficulties on my maternal side. Mum died in March. Covid has meant Mum is still waiting to be interred. It's a weird situation and this just seems to be something that's related to her I can do. Odd, I realise.

My mother was a WOOD. Gwendolie Myrtle
    Daughter of James WOOD 1896-1980 born Whitechapel London England Died Preston, Victoria and Myrtle Eliza Sandry. born Ballarat East Victoria. 1897-1990 Died Preston, Victoria.

James, son of Christopher WOOD 1863-1946 born Whitechapel London England and Mary Ann Donovan 1870 - 1923 born Whitechapel. Both died in Victoria Australia.

Christopher, son of James Wood 1828-1913 Born St George in the East, Middlesex Died Edmonton Middlesex and Ann Louisa Giles 1826-1897 b St Luke Middlesex. Died St Botolph, London.

James, son of David Middleton WOOD 1794 -1870. Born and died St George in the East, London Middlesex and Margaret Brooks. Born Middlesex abt 1796. Died July 1845 St George in the East London Middlesex.

David Wood and Margaret Brooks were married by banns in tower Hamlets, St George in the East by banns on the 28 Sep 1817. A Mary Brooks is a witness. also a William Walker. They had the following children.

David Abraham 1819-1891
    Mary Wood 1822-1862
    Henry wood 1824-
    Eliza Wood 1826
    James Wood 1828-1913
    Margaret Wood 1833-
    Harriet Wood 1835-
    Charles Henry Wood 1837- 1909
    Selina Sarah Wood 1841
    Edwin Wood
    The 1841 England Census has Mary and Henry the same age and Eliza a year younger. Selina is a baby at 2 months so Edwin is not around. His mother would be 47 ish having him. Is that likely?
    I have not been able to find the parents of David Middleton Wood. Nor Margaret Brooks.
    Given the children's names I was thinking Henry WOOD would be a possibility for David's father. I found this record and wonder what you think. I thought I could find a christening with such a distinctive name that I assumed would be the wife's surname possibly?
    Name:Henry Wood
    Record Type: Christening (Baptism)
    Baptism Date: 27 May 1770
    Baptism Place: St Botolph, Bishopsgate, City of London, London, England
    Father: Henry Wood
    Mother: Ann Wood
    Register Type: Parish Register

If this is the correct family there is a generation between I'm guessing that I cannot locate. Any ideas? There's always the possibility there was more than one family in St Botolph London with the surname too.
    I hope everyone is keeping well.
    Kind regards
    Merryn aka 3 femmes

Sandiep and Daft Bat like this.
  2. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

Maybe this could be Margaret (and a sister Mary) - baptisms at St. George in the East, Tower Hamlets. I haven't looked to see if there are any other siblings.

23 April 1797 Margaret daughter of Abraham BROOKES, Taylor (sic) by Mary - Pell (or Dell) Street - born 22 March.

22 February 1799 Mary daughter of Abraham BROOKES, Tailor by Mary - New Road - born 16 January.

There is a marriage by Banns on 5 July 1795 at St. Sepulchre, Holborn, London City of an Abraham BROOKS, batchelor and Mary MARSHALL, spinster, which could be the parents of the above two girls.

3femmes likes this.
  3. Jellylegs

If Middleton is taken from a surname of an Ancestor of David's you may have to go back a few generations to find it. My other half's grandfather (born 1904) had a string of first names - Kefford William James Lutt.

Lutt wasn't too bad - found it two generations back in 1838. However, Kefford was a bit harder - five generations back in 1761.

3femmes likes this.
  4. Jellylegs

There is a baptism for Edwin WOOD on 16 Sep 1831 at St George in the East, Tower Hamlets.

upload_2020-7-2_3-27-49.png

3femmes likes this.
  5. 3femmes

3femmes Active Member

Brilliant. Thank you. :):reading:

6. 3femmes

3femmes Active Member

Any sign of David Middleton Wood's baptism and possibly his parents?