Davies........End of the Line?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Andrew Davies, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Andrew Davies

Andrew Davies Well-Known Member

Good afternoon all.

I ventured back to the Powys Archives this afternoon to try and trace the Davies line back even further. My starting point from a previous visit was Thomas Davies & Ann Austin married in Berriew 16th May 1797.

I started with Baptisms for the parish about 1782 and worked backwards, eventually found the only Thomas Davies that fitted the bill and then my heart sank.........

August 7th 1774 Thomas Davies natural son of Mary Morris of Vaynor

Illegitimate! I looked for any bastardy records or Poor Law Union records for Berriew in their online catalogue for that era without success.

So my question, to you Top Dogs, is this the end of the line for my Davies branch?

Regards, Andrew.

2. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

FMP has a transcript of this too.

Thomas Davies
    Baptism day 7 Aug 1774, Berriew, Montgomeryshire
    Father's name (Blank) Davies
    Father's residence Vaynor ucha
    Notes about father illegitimate
    Mother's name Mary Morris

Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for VAYNOR (Issa and Ucha). two townships in Berriew parish, Montgomeryshire; 4ΒΌ miles NW of Montgomery.

At least now you know where his father was from. Sadly no name.

Andrew Davies likes this.
  3. Andrew Davies

Andrew Davies Well-Known Member

Thanks Terry, from the microfilm it looked like Ucha. I was just looking at a map of Berriew in 1886 to see if I could find it.

Chimp likes this.
  4. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

So the unknown father was illegitimate as well?? That's a bit of a dead end. That is the way they show the fathers of "outside" children in Jamaica...but only the surname, so that note is a plus in a way.

5. Lusmum

Lusmum Active Member

I looked to see if Thomas's parents married after he was born, which sometimes happened. Couldn't find a marriage for them. I did find a Mary Morris baptism 4 June 1749 Berriew, father John mother Jane. I then looked for a marriage of John Morris to a Jane and came up with 3 but only one was before 1749 . John Morris to Jane Jones, by banns 6 Feb. 1744 St Tyssil Llandysul Montgomeryshire. This is only speculation that Mary was born in the area that Thomas was....Val...

Chimp and Daft Bat like this.
  6. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

I am not sure if I misinterpreted it as meaning the "grandfather" was illegitimate when it was referring to the baby...sorry about that!! I was not having a good day!!