Death at Chatham Dockyard

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by annabel, Jul 26, 2016.

1. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

I have just found a probate notice for Thomas Lock who was a leading hand of labourers, who died at Chatham Dockyard 16th Jan 1885. His home address was 49 Priestdale, Ordinance Place, and his widow was Elizabeth Ann

He may be the Thomas Lock that I am looking for. There are a few of them about. My potential Thomas, unless I have mixed up more than one, was born around 1809 in Woolwich. He may have had a wife Ruth, who only appears in 1861, and he was in the dockyard then and in 1871, but then nothing afterwards

It sounds as though it might have been a death of note, but I haven't found a mention of it in the papers. Can anyone find anymore about him, to see how many Thomases I have?

2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

This seems to be :
    Thomas Lock 23 sep late of 49 Priestdale ordnance place chatham leading hand of dock workers at Chatham dockyard principal.reg. to Elizabeth Anne lock widow of 1885 -perhaps of Sunbury- no age given & Free BMD doesn' have a match.
    Another one was:
    Thomas Lock 48 Charles st Portland town M'sex widower d 49 Mar 1879 at Charles st. -Principal registry to John Lock son & one of n-o-kin

3. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

Regarding the second Thomas above, a John Lock comes up as a shipwright at Chatham docks. Probably a popular name in that area.

4. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I've had a good rummage through the papers and can find nothing regarding the death of a Thomas Lock(e) at Chatham Dockyard in January 1885. I suspect he may have died there but possibly not under circumstances which would appear in a newspaper.

The death appears in the GRO index - March Qtr. 1885 under Thomas Locke - aged 43 - Medway 2a 386

Bay Horse likes this.
  5. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

It was indeed the first probate mentioned. Thanks for looking in the papers. I can't find any more records for Thomas and Elizabeth Ann in Chatham either.

Edit: Ah just saw the age at death, maybe not him after all

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    AnnB likes this.