Death/Burial of Catherine Cumming

Discussion in 'Lancashire' started by crazycatlady22, May 15, 2014.

1. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

George Cumming, 31, wife Margaret 27, George 3 and William 1 and a half arrived as bounty immigrants on 3rd Dec 1841 on board the Columbine.
    Their approval as bounty immigrants was given 12th March 1840 well before the death of Catherine.
    Is it possible that George still wanted to take up the offer of immigration so married Margaret without haste after the death of Catherine to enable him to bring his family here.
    He may have never had another chance.

Ma-dotcom and crazycatlady22 like this.
  2. crazycatlady22

crazycatlady22 Well-Known Member

Thank you Archie's Mum,

It is a possibility.

George and Margaret were living together by the 7th June 1841 and he Married Margaret on 16th August 1841.

Catherine could have been so sick that they knew that she was going to die [possibly; if this is her; she was in a hospice for the dying. I haven't found her in the Census] and George desperately needed to have a wife to be able to travel to Australia and also to look after his two surviving children.

I have found birth/baptism records for George and Catherine's other children who must have died in Scotland:
    Catherine Clark Cumming born 9 October 1830 baptized 9 October 1830 Father George Cumming Mother Catherine Graham [it is a bad sign if she was born and baptized on the same day. It usually means that the baby was not going to survive].
    David Cumming born 6 October 1833 baptized 9 October 1833 Father George Cumming Mother Catherine Graham.
    Alexander Cumming born 19 December 1837

Last edited: May 16, 2014
    Ma-dotcom likes this.
  3. crazycatlady22

crazycatlady22 Well-Known Member

Great Minds think alike ;)

4. Archie's Mum

As Margaret was born in Glasgow it is possible she was family friend or even relative!

5. Archie's Mum

Isn't it funny how the alerts that come to your email address are always the unedited version :D
    Maybe he was as you said in the unedited version, but it seems she may have lived with them to look after everyone when, as you say Catherine was ill.
    But still, if that is Catharine that died 2.8.1841 they didn't waste any time. 14 days.:rolleyes:
    Maybe they were in a hurry to catch the boat :)

Or maybe, as he was contracted to work here, he could not have come with 2 very young children and no one to take care of them. A marriage of convenience that happened to work out in the end.

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  6. Erinbacchi

Erinbacchi New Member

Hi Ladies, I have just come across your chat here. My great grandfather was an orphan and I've been doing some research for my grandad because we don't know a great deal about his side of the family. My great great grandmother was Jane Cumming, daughter to James Cumming - son of George and Margaret. I'd love to know any more details you have on this side of the family :) Let me know. @Archie's Mum @crazycatlady22

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  7. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

Welcome to our forum Erinbacchi - :) I am sure crazycatlady will be along before too long!

Your post got me looking again at Catherine Cumming/Cummings and I am even more inclined to believe the 1870 death in Glasgow of Catherine Cummings, is her. I think that George left her and went off with Margaret.
    In 1837 and 1838 post office directories George Cummimg , joiner and hat block maker is at 27 Montrose St. By 1839 he is gone.
    In 1841 and 1851 censuses a married Catherine Cumming is at that address but no George.
    There are sufficient details on the 1870 death cert to link to her I think.

I think that around the time their youngest child Alexander died in 1839 that George and Margaret got together. I would guess that young George b 1839 is Margaret's child rather than Catherine's although there is no proof. All of Catherine's previous babies were baptised so one would expect George to be too. (But maybe George is Catherine's and she wasn't well enough to look after him. Who knows)
    George, Margaret and young George headed for Liverpool, had a second child, married bigamously and set off for Australia. (William's birth on the gro website has mother's maiden name McHenry)
    Well, that is my theory!

Crazycatlady no doubt has more information on Margaret and George senior, as it is her family.
    If you have any queries about other parts of your family tree, members here are aways happy to help.:)

crazycatlady22, Sis and Daft Bat like this.
  8. Erinbacchi

Erinbacchi New Member

Hi @Grizel thanks for your reply! I have been intouch with crazycatlady :)

I haven't purchased any BMD certificates yet but I hope to do that in the next week to confirm a few things. Basically we know that My G. G. G. Grandmothers name was Jane Cummins (Cumming/Cummings the record last names seem to differ slightly). Her parents being Eliza Barry and James Cumming. A lady at the archives answered a research request:

Thank you for your recent enquiry about the places of birth of your ancestors Eliza Barry and James Cummins/Cummings.

Elizabeth Cumming nee Barry appears to have died on 14 September 1916 and was interred at the Toowoomba & Drayton Cemetery the following day. Queensland deaths indexes record her parents’ names as Nora and David Barry. There is an added note in the index entry as follows “Born Ireland aged 57 years”. (See extracts attached)

Based on Elizabeth’s age at death I checked Queensland immigration indexes which record an Eliza Barry (age 22) arriving in Queensland aboard the Royal Dane in 1871. The relevant extract from the shipping list is attached)

James Cummins/Cummings is a not uncommon name. However, I also noticed the burial of a James Cumming (aged 84) on 5 July 1936 at the Toowoomba & Drayton Cemetery . This James Cumming/s appears to have been born at Moreton Bay in 1852 to parents named George Cummings and Margaret McInery.

So I'm really just guessing from her suggestion that this James lines up. Crazycatlady suggests that the James in toowoomba cemetary married Mary-Ann Tye 11 January 1882. I know the Cumming family was quite big so I'm trying to figure out where we fit into the bigger picture.

From this research I thought:

G. G. G. G. Grandfather George Marquis Cumming 1808-1881
    G. G. G. Grandfather James Cumming 1852-1936 (and Elizabeth Barry) - married in 1973
    G. G. Grandmother: Jane Cumming (1873-1939) married Otto Rudolph Schilling
    G. Grandfather: Rudolph Schilling (orphan)
    My Grandfather
    My Mother
    Me

Do you see any James Cumming in your files ever marrying an Eliza/Elizabeth Barry?

:) Thank you

Grizel and Sis like this.
  9. Erinbacchi

Erinbacchi New Member

I went to the drayton cemetary in toowoomba on a search for James and Eliza Cumming - I didn't find them even though there are records stating they are there somewhere - I'll have to send some emails to confirm exactly where they are.

George and Margaret's headstone has fallen over :( it's in the same place as Mary Ann Cumming.

Attached Files:

crazycatlady22 and Grizel like this.