Death by drowning

Discussion in 'Glamorgan' started by Brentor boy, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Phil Smith

Phil Smith New Member

With regards to the Sarah Smith (nee Rosser) family, I found her on the 1841 census living in Cwm Maesruded in the Bedwellty area. The father David Rosser is a 55 year old collier but, no wife appears on that census. Although the 1841 census is quite scant with giving information it does confirm that he was not born in the Bedwellty area. I searched around the David Rosser birth records and came up with a 1786 birth in Swansea. I believe that he married Jane Griffiths in Swansea in 1816. Jane Rosser died in the Bedwellty area in 1839 which would explain her being missing from the 1841 census. My theory obviously and only too happy for your input......

2. Brentor boy

Brentor boy Active Member

With 1841 showing David Rosser born "out of county" and the Swansea birth in 1786 matching the 1848 death of David Rosser, I can appreciate your logic. The death of Jane in 1839, means that we have no clue as to her origins.
    For reasons I explained earlier, I opted for the David Rosser/ Jane Richards marriage, Llantrisant, 1814. (David was "of Bedwellty"). The David Rosser/ Jane Griffiths marriage, Swansea, is equally valid. Which either one is "ours", where were the other David and Jane in 1841?
    I looked for Lousia (1835) in 1851 hoping she would be with relatives, but she was a live--in servant.
    To be honest, with so many variables and unknowns, and only on-line sources, I did not pursue this line with any great dedication. Perhaps it's time for me to take a fresh look.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  3. Phil Smith

Phil Smith New Member

I have done the same as you (searched for Louisa) with the same thoughts. I did, however, find this which is quite interesting as it has to be her, she would have been 17 years old. Louisa.JPG

mugwortismy cat, Ma-dotcom and Chimp like this.
  4. Brentor boy

Brentor boy Active Member

I had deduced that Louisa had married Samuel Kean but could not find them together in 1861 to prove it. It is now obvious why!

5. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Must look into Rossers who married into hubby’s family.

6. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Done that. Mine are from Llanelly, Breck Nockam. Quite a common name in those parts.

7. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

I wonder how many people on here haven't had to do the same, if any, I know I have on more than one occasion. :)

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  8. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

I bet we all can own up to doing that ... I have !! It pays to double check as new information comes out!

Findem, GrannyBarb and MollyMay like this.
  9. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Well I did move a Lass from Surrey to Devon to marry & raise kids until it just looked really silly so went back & found her- with some help- where she should have been in Bermondsey :D

Nightryder, Findem and Daft Bat like this.
  10. Phil Smith

Phil Smith New Member

So, was your 'lass' a Smith and linked to this thread or have we just been hi-jacked ?