Death Notice for David Retallick

Discussion in 'Empire & Commonwealth' started by Peregrine, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Peregrine

Peregrine Well-Known Member

David Retallick emigrated to Australia aboard the Jumna which arrived at Townsville on 20 Jul 1891. He was 21 years of age and arrived with his brother Christopher and his family.

David was a miner and I have found a few mentions of him on Trove living in the Charters Towers area. However, he died suddenly in 1914 as detailed in his death notice:

DEATH.

RETALLICK.—At the Duchess, on July 18th, 1914, after a few hours' illness, David Retallick, aged 45, dearly beloved brother of Mrs. Lean, of Mosman Park, also of Mrs. M. Cox and C. Retallick, one time of Millchester Road.

Deeply Regretted.

Family Notices (1914, July 25). The Northern Miner (Charters Towers, Qld. : 1874 - 1954), p. 4. Retrieved June 21, 2016, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article79195530

I gather that the Duchess was a gold and lead mine about 111 km from Charters Towers. Mosman Park is a suburb of Charters Towers and Millchester Road is also in Charters Towers. I believe that David was a bachelor; in 1909 he travelled back to England for a few months.

I have tried to trace the siblings mentioned in the death notice and have found Mrs Lean easily enough but am having no luck with Mrs M. Cox and C. Retallick. I did find an M. Cox, storekeeper, Millchester Road signing a petition for the constitution of a municipality in Dec 1901, just below D. Retallick, miner, Wellington Flat. The C. Retallick will not be Christopher Retallick as he returned to England; his son, Harry was born at Millom, Cumberland in 1903; and the family was still living there in 1911.

Mrs Lean was Eden Retallick who married James Lean in 1881 at Whitehaven, Cumberland. They travelled to Australia aboard Austral arriving at Sydney on 12 Jul 1897 with their five children: Mary, Eden, Millie, Grace and Herbert. James Lean died in early 1913 at Charters Towers.

I have found two male Retallick siblings whose first name starts with C. Charles emigrated to the USA arriving at New York in 1904 and died in Meagher county, Montana in 1929. And then there is Conivan who I can only find on the 1881 Census living at Arlecdon, Whitehaven, Cumberland with his family. At least Conivan is how his name has been transcribed, the writing is some of the worst I have seen and so while I can see how they made Conivan out of the writing it could well be something quite different. (I am sorry I have not been able to copy the image from Ancestry).

There are three female Retallick siblings apart from Eden: Miriam, Millicent and Bessie but they all appear to be otherwise accounted for. Miriam married a William Henry Jones and died in Washington (state), USA in 1932; Millicent married a William Henry Roberts and died at Brixham, Devon in 1892; and Bessie married Francis John Gordon Hockaday at Bootle, Cumberland in 1879 and died in 1925 at Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

So who can find Mrs M. Cox and C. Retallick and how exactly do they fit into this family??

Oh and I found a Wanted advertisement placed by someone named Retallick:

WANTED

Situation as HOUSEKEEPER, with one child. Apply Retallick, Millchester Road.

Advertising (1895, August 30). The Northern Miner (Charters Towers, Qld. : 1874 - 1954), , p. 1. Retrieved June 21, 2016, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article78602189

No idea who this could be either.

As always any help will be much appreciated.

2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

"also of Mrs. M. Cox and C. Retallick, one time of Millchester Road."

This may still include Charles who later returned to UK.
    I've only found a Margaret Agnes COX in charter's Towers

1919-22
    Margaret Agnes & Henry Joseph Cox anne st.
    Henry Joseph Cox Male 1919 Queensland Kennedy Charters Towers

1916 Henry Joseph alone.a Compositor
    A Margaret & Charles Rettalick at Toowong -carpenter.

Sis likes this.
  3. Ma-dotcom

Harry Joseph Cox married: Margaret Agnes McNicol 1919 - Queensland
    No joy there then.:(

4. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

For 'Conivan' try 'Allivyan' father John mother Marianne Retallick born 1872/73 Bodmin shown on 1891 census with mother Mary Ann in Withiel Cornwall. Christopher is also there.

5. Ma-dotcom

For Charles please read Christopher as in your line.
    May have to look in UK for Mrs M.Cox also.

6. Peregrine

You are right about Allivyan being same as Conivan. Allivyan died in Washington State in 1955. He was married to an Alice Cock. So I guess Eden was referring to Christopher in the death notice, even though he had returned to England over decade earlier.

Archie's Mum likes this.
  7. Archie's Mum

There's a land title for Allivyan Retallick in Montana still current. Son maybe.

Peregrine likes this.
  8. Ma-dotcom

I wonder if Alice Cock may lead to a Mrs M "Cox"?
    just been going through the City Directories for 'Mrs Cox. closest so far is with Sam'l O Cox in Bowen Hills.[Brisbane area]
    I've known several families who delicately change the spelling of the name.

9. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

If you go to the link below there are Retallicks including your David and Christopher. I'm at work and don't have time to have a further look but it may help.
    Code:
    http://hertfordhistorysmith.co.uk/

Archie's Mum and Ma-dotcom like this.
  10. Archie's Mum

I'm wondering, that although we are reading Mrs M Cox as a sibling, if, as he was single, that she may have been his 'special friend' and not a sibling at all.

Ma-dotcom and Sis like this.
  11. Peregrine

That is the blog that Albatros told me about, an interesting blog. I think I searched through it looking for Luteys will have to go back and look for Retallicks.

Sis likes this.
  12. Archie's Mum

There is a photo of the grave of David Retallick at Duchess Qld Cemetery. Australian Cemetery Index. Such a tiny little graveyard with some interesting memorials.

Dogsday, Ma-dotcom, Sis and 1 other person like this.
  13. Albatross

Albatross New Member

Thanks you all for your help. I went to Charters Towers and found the approximate location ( 1 of 3) unmarked graves in the pioneer cemetery for Mary Richards Retallick (born Lutey). plus I think one of the graves is their son who was born six months before and looks to have died two weeks before his mother and could have triggered the septicemia that killed Mary.
    Christopher Retallick married Mary Woon, they also lost a child and its in the Lind cemetery number 661.
    I've not yet found Christopher and the second Mary's return to England but I'm still working on it.
    Brother David Retallick died in suspicious circumstances as did two other co-owners of a claim that was in progress leaving one benefactor.
    Mrs Lean I think may be Ivy Lean who died in Bassendean March 12 1940, and there was a Mrs M Cox of Innisfail that won the G Ross trophy for bowls reported in the Townsville Daily Bulletin 08 June 1944.
    I have uncovered a lot of skeletons from my paternal side, illegitimate grandfather possibly from incest, connection to my wife's lineage plus a mountain of possible threads. Not so on the maternal side seems to have come to a dead end after grandmother but I'll keep trying

Peregrine, Dogsday, Half Hour and 3 others like this.
  14. Peregrine

Sorry I have not checked in for a while. Some interesting finds there but it has been so long since I have looked at these people I am struggling to recall where I was at. Will have to have a good look in the morning. Thankyou

Daft Bat and Dogsday like this.
  15. Dogsday

Dogsday Well-Known Member

'I am struggling to recall where I was at'.

Tell me about it :eek:

Peregrine and Daft Bat like this.