Death of Ethel Elizabeth NEWELL

Discussion in 'BMD Certificates' started by Murfomurf, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Murfomurf

Murfomurf Active Member

Born as Ethel Elizabeth SPIERS, this person is my 1st cousin X 2 removed, GRO birth record:

GRO SPIERS, ETHEL ELIZABETH DOLMAN
    GRO Reference: 1890 D Quarter in MERIDEN Volume 06D Page 394

She married a Harry NEWELL in 1914 and produced one son, John Harry NEWELL on 7 Jun 1915.

I cannot locate a Death record for her. Am I blind as the proverbial, did she die before the 1939 Register, did she divorce/husband died and remarried? I have searched high and low and turned somersaults over this woman and I need an intervention! There is some indication that she preferred to be known as Elizabeth rather than Ethel but that's the only extra info I have discovered. A few family trees say she died about 1965 in Warwickshire but I can't find it.

Help please.

2. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

A tree on Ancestry has her marrying a Joseph William DAVIDGE in 1946.

BMD Index has marriage entries - Dec Q 1946, Northumberland South 1b/862

Joseph W DAVIDGE - spouse surname NEWELL
    Joseph W DAVIDGE - spouse surname SPIERS

Ethel E SPIERS - spouse surname DAVIDGE
    Ethel E NEWELL - spouse surname DAVIDGE

There is a death registration of a Ethel Elizabeth DAVIDGE born 21.09.1890 in the second quarter of 1972, Northumberland South - 1b/1048

The 1939 register has Ethel E DAVIDGE born 21.09.1893 with Joseph W DAVIDGE born 03.07.1892 living at 2 Beech Grove, Whitley Bay, Northumberland.

Murfomurf and Blackmogs like this.
  3. Murfomurf

Murfomurf Active Member

Thank you. I have seen that Tree but doubt it is the correct Spiers because mine was Registered in Sep 1890 and baptised 18 Jan 1891 in Meriden. Was she living with Mr Davidge in 1939 before she married him in 1940? Also there is something odd going on with the original son, John Harry Newell. The only person the right age as him is in a Mental Hospital in Devon for the 1939 Register, then he marries as John Newell (to a Beatrice M Marsh), has a bunch of children registered in West Bromwich but that Tree tells me he died as a Davidge? I am still confuzzled! (Sorry)

4. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

A John H DAVIDGE born 7 June 1915, an unmarried Aircraft Fitter, is living at 2 Garnock Road, Southampton, in the 1939 Register. Subsequent marriage of a John H DAVIDGE to a Wilma A HARDY in the March qtr 1940 at Southampton reg district. Death registration in March 1999 at Southampton reg district of a John Harry DAVIDGE, dob 7 June 1915.

The birth date for John Harry DAVIDGE on these records certainly fit with your John Harry NEWELL and I can find no appropriate birth registration for a John H(arry) DAVIDGE on the GRO Index.

Janet

Murfomurf likes this.
  5. janetbooth

Bit more information on the DAVIDGE family in Whitley Bay in the 1939 register. The Gordon L DAVIDGE living with Joseph W & Ethel E was born 13 Mar or May 1923 according to the Register. A Gordon L DAVIDGE was registered in the June qtr 1923 at Kings Norton reg district, mother's maiden name SPIERS - round about the correct area for Ethel Elizabeth NEWELL. The only other Ethel Elizabeth SPIERS birth registration I can find around 1893, is one in Chelsea, December qtr 1895, certainly not one around 21 September 1893. The death registration for Ethel Elizabeth DAVIDGE in June qtr 1972 at Northumberland South reg district gives a birthdate of 21 September 1890. So, I think it is highly probable that Ethel Elizabeth NEWELL nee SPIERS & Ethel Elizabeth DAVIDGE are one and the same person. I wonder what happened to husband Harry??

Janet

Ma-dotcom, Murfomurf and Blackmogs like this.
  6. Murfomurf

Murfomurf Active Member

Thank you Janet. I will have to bow down to the alternative evidence that Ms Spiers became Mrs Newell then divorced and married Mr Davidge. Certainly odd, but the Sep 1890 fact seems common to both despite her perhaps putting her age forward so she would not be older than her 2nd husband.

It's all a bit odd with the first son marrying as Newell then dying as Davidge- there has to be a story! I found a Death for the original father, Harry Newell which is consistent with his birth date:
    1 Jan 1961 at Luton and Dunstable Hospital, having been born 30 Jan 1892 in Warwickshire.

There might be an additional son for Ethel in Birmingham 1920:

Births Sep 1920- FreeBMD
    Davidge William J Spiers Birmingham 6d 448

Perhaps something like Catholics vs Protestants- maybe Davidge got Spiers pregnant but the parents wouldn't allow her to marry him so she married Harry Newell for the sake of propriety? Then after the arrival of John Harry Newell, she left and lived with Mr Davidge, having further children registered under his surname. I had another relative in my Lawrence line (where Ethel belongs) who didn't marry until after all 7 children left home!

Intriguing as I was trying to find a living descendant to make contact, given my lack of close relatives on my father's side. What to do?

Thanks heaps again for following through the tangled set of leads!

7. Murfomurf

Murfomurf Active Member

And more:

I think we have a technical bigamist with this family!

I found another marriage for Joseph William Davidge to a May Kathleen Johnson in 1914, Southwark, London:
    FreeBMD:
    Marriages Sep 1914
    Davidge Joseph W Johnson Southwark 1d 232
    JOHNSON May K Davidge Southwark 1d 232; this may have been when he was doing some training for the Army.

Then 3 children Davidge-Johnson around London:
    Births Sep 1915
    Davidge William L Johnson Croydon 2a 530
    Births Jun 1917
    Davidge Vera K Johnson Croydon 2a 440
    Births Jun 1920
    Davidge William F Johnson Lewisham 1d 2459;

It must have been a struggle for Mr Davidge to support these two families while this London wife died in 1932! Poor thing. I hope he didn't encourage her end. I'll have to work out what happened to Vera and William F - I wonder if they died young or were moved to Northumberland to his parents?

What do people think of these developments?

Archie's Mum likes this.
  8. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

What do we think of these developments? Cad!

Murfomurf and Sis like this.
  9. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Scoundrel!

Murfomurf likes this.
  10. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

He divorced Ethel in 1921. :eek:
    From the National Archives, section J77:

Reference:J 77/1755/4678
    Description: Divorce Court File: 4678.
    Appellant: Harry Newell.
    Respondent: Ethel Elizabeth Newell.
    Co-respondent: William James Davidge.
    Type: Husband's petition for divorce [hd].
    Date:1921
    Held by:The National Archives, Kew
    Legal status: Public Record(s)
    Language:English
    Closure status:Open Document, Open Description

Looks like you can order a copy from them. :)

11. Londoner

Londoner Will always roll up her sleeves and dig around

According to the newspaper (Coventry Evening Telegraph - 3 Jun 1921)report Davidge was a lodger who moved in with the Newells in 1919. Adultery was proved and Newell given £100 damages.

Chimp, Ma-dotcom, Murfomurf and 4 others like this.
  12. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Newcastle Chronicle - 6th July 1940
    Stated to have fired a revolver Joseph William Davidge (48), a manager, of Beech Grove, Whitley Bay, was fined £2 at Whitley Bay for having a firearm and ammunition in his possession without having a firearms certificate. The court confiscated the weapon.
    Constable White said he called at Davidge's home, telling him he had received a complaint that he had discharged the firearm.
    Davidge replied: "That's right."

13. Blackmogs

Blackmogs Moderator. General Dogs(cats)body. Staff Member

You lot are marvels. What a twisted tale this is.

14. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Aren't they just!

Daft Bat, Blackmogs and Murfomurf like this.
  15. Murfomurf

Murfomurf Active Member

Thanks for all that, @Daft Bat, @Londoner and @Chimp! I have dropped a line to a cousin in Canada who is a closer relative than I am. She will be rather taken aback, I think!

16. janetbooth

Well found Jan, Londoner & Chimp! I did see the report that Chimp found, but hadn't seen the info re the divorce. There is a marriage on the GRO Index for a Vera K DAVIDGE to an Ernest G RAYNER in the December qtr 1936 at East Ham reg district - perhaps a possibility? Plus another marriage registered in the December qtr 1938 at East Ham for William F DAVIDGE to Florence A BAKER. Florence A DAVIDGE living at 22 Keppel Road, East Ham, in the 1939 Register, shown as married, with one redacted record.

Janet

Murfomurf, Sis, Chimp and 1 other person like this.
  17. janetbooth

Ernest G & Vera K RAYNER are in the 1953-1961 Surrey Electoral Registers, available to view on Ancestry, living firstly at Portsmouth Rd and then at 65 Chapel Lane, Farnham.

Janet

Murfomurf and Sis like this.
  18. Murfomurf

Murfomurf Active Member

I have just discovered a Davidge in Australia who descends from this family and I have sent her some messages on social media. Apparently William James Davidge's son, Alan Leslie Davidge, married and settled in Melbourne, Australia, working as a Scaffolder. There was only one child and I have contacted her.

19. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

You're super sleuths! That will make an interesting family tale!

Murfomurf likes this.