Death record for Prideaux

Discussion in 'Glamorgan' started by USAGirl, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Yes they have been very helpful. I only came in at the end. The members on here are very good :)

2. USAGirl

USAGirl Member

Well thanks to everyone!!

Sis, dizzyme and Chimp like this.
  3. USAGirl

USAGirl Member

I found more things!! So of course more questions follow lol!
    While I am waiting on Alfred Prideaux marriage record and the birth record of the Alfred Prideaux that was born in Honiton, I did a bit more digging about the Elizabeth who is his mother with him in the workhouse in 1881 and the old man William Prideaux who I thought might be her grandfather....
    I found William Prideaux in the Sidmouth 1861 census, I had to go page by page as he was wrongly listed as "Rideaux", and Elizabeth born 1853 is on there as his daughter! So Elizabeth in the workhouse in Honiton in 1881 with children William and Alfred is in fact the daughter of William Prideaux.
    So no father for Alfred.
    Now the old William Prideaux was born about 1807 in Salcombe Regis, and his wife though the census records is listed as Charlotte. Their first child Samuel was born in 1833 in Salcombe Regis or Sid-mouth, so I am guessing a marriage took place prior to 1833 between William Prideaux and Charlotte possibly in Salcombe Regis or Sidmouth. The bmd index doesn't start until 1837 so how would one find records prior to that year?

4. Chimp

1851 census HO107, Piece 1864, Folio 353, Page 19

Temple Street, Sidmouth, Honiton, Devon

William Prideaux Head Married 1808 Pauper Tailor Salcombe Regis, Devon
    Charlotte Prideaux Wife Married 1810 Tailors Wife Sidbury, Devon
    Samuel Prideaux Son 1833 Shoemaker Salcombe Regis, Devon
    Ann Prideaux Daughter 1840 Lacemaker Sidmouth, Devon
    Frederick Prideaux Son 1844 Sidmouth, Devon
    Mary Prideaux Daughter 1849 Sidmouth, Devon
    William Prideaux Son 1851 Sidmouth, Devon

Births
    THOMAS - 1838 M Quarter Volume 10 Page 130
    ANN - 1840 J Quarter Volume 10 Page 122
    FREDERICK - 1842 D Quarter Volume 10 Page 127
    GEORGE - 1844 D Quarter Volume 10 Page 128
    MARY - 1848 D Quarter Volume 10 Page 116
    WILLIAM - 1850 D Quarter Volume 10 Page 120
    ELIZABETH - 1853 D Quarter Volume 05B Page 33

All children Registered HONITON.

Mothers maiden name for all children is VICKERY.

I've tried looking for a marriage for a Prideaux to a Vickery but have had no luck.

5. Chimp

1841 census - Sidmouth, Devon - HO107 - Piece 208 - Folio 11 - Page 16

William Prideaux M 30-34 Devon
    Charlotte Prideaux F 30-34 Devon
    Samuel Prideaux M 9 Devon
    Eliza Prideaux F 7 Devon
    Charles Prideaux M 4 Devon
    Thomas Prideaux M 2 Devon
    Ann Prideaux F 1 Devon
    James Vickery M 14 Devon

In this household they have a James VICKERY living with them.

6. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Me neither :( (or to any other Charlotte)

Chimp likes this.
  7. Chimp

Most annoying :headbang: :mad: (edited version):oops:

8. USAGirl

USAGirl Member

Oh wow! Thank you! I've got to input all of that. In the meantime I received the mail and Alfred Prideaux birth record from Honiton is here and it for sure our Alfred who died in Glamorgan as the birthdate is 22 sept 1877 in Sidmouth! And no father listed, just Elizabeth Prideaux, laundress.
    So this is 100% the correct family line!
    And now we have William Prideaux, father of Elizabeth, married Charlotte Vickery.

One interesting thing about Elizabeth Prideaux, she is in the 1871 census as a servant to a "Chester" family. This is right before Williams birth in 1872. What is more interesting is that the head of the Chester family was born in Glamorgan...

This is a curious line!

Half Hour, Daft Bat and Chimp like this.
  9. Chimp

Brilliant, so pleased he turned out to be your Alfred :)

10. USAGirl

USAGirl Member

Me too! You guys are good! Now I've got to try and track William but dont quite know where to look if you're not seeing a marriage. Looks like this family was very much in the same region for the most part. I see Honiton, sidmouth, sidbury, Salcombe regis repeatedly. Must do research

Chimp likes this.
  11. Chimp

A little more for you :)

1841 census gives:-James Vickery 14 b.Devon

This would give a birth c. 1827/8

There is a marriage for a James Vickery on 23 September 1855 in Salcombe Regis, Devon, his spouse is Elizabeth Driver.

James gives his father as Nehemiah Vickery.

There is a baptism on 13 April 1828 in Sidbury, Devon
    James Vickery
    father: Nehemiah Vickary
    mother: Sarah Vickary

There is also this baptism

Charlotte Vickrey
    Birth: 14 April 1811
    christening: 28 April 1811 Sidbury, Devon
    father: Nehemiah Vickrey
    mother: Sarah Wood

Groom: Nehemiah Vickery
    spouse: Sarah Wood
    marriage: 21 October 1807, Sidbury, Devon

So looks like the James Vickery on the 1841 census was a brother to Charlotte.

Half Hour likes this.
  12. USAGirl

USAGirl Member

Thank you! I will add all these things and continue the search. Again, I'm very grateful for all your help :)

MollyMay and Chimp like this.
  13. MollyMay

I see we did not answer this for you - prior to the index you have to find the church records for the family (baptism, marriage and burial).
    There is a site Cornwallopc which has transcribed many Cornwall parish records, but not all parishes are done yet. I looked for the marriage on there for you, and the baptism of Samuel, and it looks like the area you need is one of those still to be added. Family Search also has parish records, as do the big subscription sites - but I think Chimp and I have looked on those. It will be a case of looking for the parish, and seeing if you can find anywhere that these records have been made available, either online or on disc that you can buy.
    Hope this helps:)

Chimp likes this.
  14. USAGirl

USAGirl Member

Oh thank you! I was doing some digging in the 1841 census of Salcombe Regis as it's very small and I did see one Prideaux family (spelled Prieaux so I'm guessing actually Prideaux) under Hannah 50 yrs old. As that district seems rather small I'm wondering if this is his mother or possibly related. William was born about 1807 or 1808 so maybe I can find some sideways way to find him :) The name doesn't seem too common in the area.

15. MollyMay

Whoops:oops: - Salcombe Regis is in Devon, but you will still need the parish records prior to 1837.

If it helps Ancestry has (transcriptions) of Baptisms and marriages 1876-1906,
    Family Search has baptisms 1609-1875, marriages 1609-1630 & 1669-1875
    FMP has Devon parish records both transcription and images.
    I can see the baptism of Samuel Prideaux 16/9/1832 son of William and Charlotte.
    It also tells you they lived in Seed, and William's occupation was tailor, also a Charles Prideaux baptised 3/1/1836 in Salcombe Regis with the same parents, abode and occupation.

16. USAGirl

USAGirl Member

Oh family search! I forgot about that one - thank you! I found the Hannah Prideaux marrying a Thomas is 1807 in Salcombe Regis! William Prideaux was born in 1807 or 1808 in Salcombe Regis... I wonder.

17. USAGirl

USAGirl Member

Another question! I found a William Perdice in family search born 1808 in salcombe regis to a Thomas and Hannah. Prideaux seems to be spelled and misspelled many ways (Priddis, priddice, pridue, etc.) Is there any way to tell our find out of this is actually a Prideaux???

18. MollyMay

Well found.
    There is little regulation in the early spelling of names, the incumbent would write what he heard or what he thought he heard, giving many variations. Added to that the whoever transcribed may have misread early hand writing, or the page could be faded which all add to the variations that are found (it is always helpful to see the original if you possibly can).
    In this case the entry is clear
    upload_2017-2-2_16-48-27.png
    I have looked for more Perdice baptisms (to Thomas and Hannah) and found nothing so it is looking good for being the Prideaux family with the name mangled.

USAGirl likes this.
  19. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I've come very late to this thread, but having had a look at the papers, found this.
    Sidmouth Journal and Directory 1st July 1872
    A very young woman of Sidmouth, Elizabeth Prideaux, summoned an equally young boy-man, Henry Hook, a fisherman, as being the father of a child of which she had been delivered in the workhouse. Her evidence, as to whose service she had been in, her intimacy with the defendant, and her sojourn at the Union house, was given with almost indifference, and was so unsatisfactory as to dates or corroboratory testimony, that the summons was necessarily dismissed; and thus the ratepayers have another incumbrance on their hands. There has been much gossip in the town, and other names mentioned, in connexion with this case.

In the Western Times for the 25th June there is another report, which adds
    Henry Hook, about 17 years of age, son of Mr John Hook, fisherman of Sidmouth, was summoned by Elizabeth Prideaux, a domestic servant of Sidmouth, to shew just cause etc., why he should not help to maintain her child, of which he was the father.

I would think this is your Elizabeth Prideaux, and these articles are referring to her son William, but I think the jury is still out as to the name of the father......

20. USAGirl

USAGirl Member

Omg Annb! That's amazing information! Thank you so much! I'm going to put that all in the tree. I told the prideaux in working on this for that he should do the DNA test because he's missing a whole line. It would be interesting to see who he connected to, especially with his y DNA.
    And Molly may thank you for the image file! I'm not seeing a Perdice family in salcombe regis either and the Thomas and Hannah who married there in 1807 were listed as Prideaux. I think it may be a good lead.

Half Hour, AnnB and MollyMay like this.