Deciphering place name help please.

Discussion in 'Church Records' started by Findem, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

:D :D

2. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Hi there!! Used to translate old documents and the tiny difference between an O & an E in small letters is easy if you look at it this way...the O is normal...the E is like a hard-boiled egg with the top cut off and put back on. Silly way to describe it but works for me. Lol. And the "ff" is a double S as Jan says...my name of Bowness was easy to find by looking for the long esses. Typing on a tiny tablet so hard to read but that's what I am seeing!

Been recovering from nasty dental surgery and cursing a horrible partial that doesn't fit!!!! Had to discretely remove both it and the upper plate in the restaurant last night which totally ticked me off!!! Dessert was good, lol. Can't chew!! :(

Archie's Mum, Findem, Sis and 2 others like this.
  3. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Thanks for the o and e tip Figgs, I'm aware of the ff being a ss and fs being an upper case S but some of the people writing up the entries made it hard to distinguish between what is an ff and a tt, very little difference, sometimes no difference between them.

I did look for places in Herts beginning with Pass, Pess and Poss, Pass just two in the UK none in Herts, Pess none in the UK and Poss just the one, Posso up in Scotland.

Sorry to here of your dental problem, any problems with teeth and gums are always going to be a nuisance and give discomfort and pain

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  4. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Terrible isn't it, I couldn't even get dunno right. :headbang: :D

Ma-dotcom and Philippa like this.
  5. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

Well, I'm obviously rubbish at deciphering old writing as I thought the county said Oxford :D :rolleyes: o_O. I did see an "H" but thought it was a pretentious person trying to be posh, as in Hoxford :D. Time for an eye test perhaps!

Ma-dotcom and Archie's Mum like this.
  6. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

After following instructions given I was able to save and get a decent look at the pages. My goodness if I wasn't told it was Arksenden I would have said Robert Sarles was from Arkpool. The whole page has me fascinated. I feel sorry for transcribers. They do a wonderful job.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  7. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Darn, can't highlight for some reason. However I hope you are feeling better shortly. It must be very uncomfortable.

8. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Hope you fell better soon @Figgs

9. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Thanks folks!!! I had no idea what I was getting into and put it off as long as I could!!! My teeth were getting fragile and breaking, but the roots were fused into the jaw. Not fun! But the fakes are driving me batty! I told the dentist I was not paying for them until they fit right! :headbang: :(

10. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Poor Lass, may be you should have braved up a little [lot] sooner. Doesn't it take some time for gums to heal shrink before dentures will fit correctly?

11. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Thanks Wendy....but now the preferred way is to put the denture in immediately!!! While I was still out....that way the gums shrink to fit the plate better!! Having less problems with that and way more with the lower partial.... can't chew with them in...or out.

I adamantly refused to let the surgeon take 2 small ones out on the bottom...and thank God I put my foot down!!! That op is down the road. And the dentist had the bloody nerve to go on holiday this week!!

Hugs!!

12. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

13. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Aww poor Figgs{-(^^)-}

14. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

I was fortunate in that on a trip back to Essex and having seen an advert for Arksenden on a bus, my wife and I followed that up with a visit and a lunch there, a very pretty village. I've also searched the Arksenden PRs at the ERO, it didn't take long, nothing there for me though. That experience enabled me to recognise Robert's abode as Arksden which is no doubt Essex for Arksenden, so nothing clever about me recognising the place.

When I say nothing there for me it's not 100% true, at the time I was searching for a John Hart to an Elizabeth marriage, I found John Hart married Elizabeth Wendy 17 Jan 1720 at Arksenden, at last I thought. However a couple of years later I found another child of my John and Elizabeth Hart born earlier so that marriage went down the gurgler, then I found the correct marriage at Panfield Essex, John Hart and Elizabeth Monk 15 Oct 1717.