Did Daniel Fare of Poulton die in the American Civil War?

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Oz Faremeister, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Oz Faremeister

Oz Faremeister Active Member

Daniel Fare of Normoss, Lancashire was baptised 3-05-1828 at St Chad, Poulton le Fylde.

He is recorded in the English 1841 and 1851 census living at home with his parents Thomas Fare and Nancy Fare and his siblings.

In the England 1861 census he seems to be mis-spelt as Daniel Fair, 31, an unmarried Ship Broker, boarding at Victoria St, Thornton, Fylde, Lancashire.

Daniel Fare (son of Thomas) then married on 19-06-1862 to Elise Oppliger, age 21 (daughter of John Frederick Oppliger) at St Mary, Lichfield, Staffordshire. The 1861 census shows that Daniel's wife Elise (mistranscribed as Eliza) was born in Switzerland and was a teacher of languages at a high school in Lichfield Staffordshire. How they met is a mystery.

Daniel and Elise then disappear from the British records and I've not found them in any passenger lists.

A search of Ancestry.com has Daniel Fare and Elise Oppliger pop up at 1st Presbyterian Church, Three Rivers, Michigan, USA on 19-06-1863 for the christening of their son Daniel William Fare, born 29-03-1863.

Daniel Fare then registered for the US Civil War and in that Draft was stated to be married, 34 years old as of 1-07-1863, a Farmer, born England and living at Colon Street, St Joseph, Michigan, which is on the SE shore of Lake Michigan.

Daniel Fare then seems to disappear from view again.

Elise shows up in the 1870 Michigan Census at Newburg, Michigan living in the household of Daniel Wilson, age 53, born New York, where she is listed as Eliza Fair, House Keeper, born Switzerland, age 33 and also living with her are her two children William D Fair 7 and Ellen B Fair 5, both born Michigan, along with three of Daniel Wilson's older children, born in New York who are helping Daniel on the farm. I've not found any evidence of a marriage between Daniel Wilson and Elise/Eliza Fair/Fare. Nor have I found Daniel Fare elsewhere in the 1870 census. Newburg is a rural locality in Eastern Michigan, a good 200 kilometres east of St Joseph. Unfortunately the 1870 census doesn't record a person's marital status.

I was wondering whether any of you good folks might be able to find any record of Daniel Fare dying in the American Civil War, which ran from 1861-1865, or whether he may have died elsewhere after the war, or if he might have been traveling elsewhere at the time of the 1870 census? I was also wondering what might have happened to their son Daniel William Fare or their daughter Ellen B or what happened to Elise/Eliza as I've not found any records of them after 1870.

I was also wondering if someone can tell what Daniel's profession was at his 1862 wedding. It looks like it reads Ship something

upload_2020-6-8_19-15-37.png

GrannyBarb likes this.
  2. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Well-Known Member

Ship owner?

3. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

Will give this a look after morning chores...

4. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

Having looked on and off the past few hours, I found nothing on Daniel or Elise. Might not have my thinking cap on straight. Someone else may have better luck. :oops:

Oz Faremeister likes this.
  5. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

The only thing I found for Daniel (which doesn't help - sorry) was him being listed as a Freemason in England at the Clifton Lodge, Blackpool. Aged 34 of Fleetwood. Profession - an Agent. He received a certificate/s on 25 April 1862.

Oz Faremeister and GrannyBarb like this.
  6. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

In Centreville Michigan 5 August 1872 is the marriage of Elise Fare to Chester O Hall. He is 31 born New York, she is 32 born Switzerland. He is a railroad contractor. Both residing at Three Rivers Michigan. From original document Michigan Marriages Family Search
    Well, Im not sure if this is the correct Elise Fare as there seems to be an abundance of Elise Fare's born in Switzerland :nailbiting: Although the address of Three Rivers may be the clinker.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  7. Archie's Mum

1880, Elise is with Chester, now name listed as HILL and step daughter Nellie B FAIR age 15.Elise born Switzerland, 39. Chester is a saloon keeper, Nellie born Michigan. Living at Schoolcraft, Kalamazoo, Michigan

Jellylegs and GrannyBarb like this.
  8. Archie's Mum

Search for soldiers on the National Parks Service site nps.gov finds only 4 with the surname of Fare or variants for the Civil war under Michigan. No Daniel. And only 51 for other states, again no Daniel.

GrannyBarb likes this.
  9. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

First, I know nothing about the American Civil War so....
    ..... was this draft for the Confederates or the Unionists?

I ask as there is a grave in the Camp Chase Confederate Cemetery in Columbus, Ohio for a Daniel FORE who died on 14th May 1865. No age is given but Ohio is the next state down from Michigan, so not a million miles away.

Just a thought....

10. Archie's Mum

I probably know less but I would think Michigan would be Union....

Daft Bat and Oz Faremeister like this.
  11. Oz Faremeister

Daniel was drafted in the Union Army and spelt Daniel Fare. However, that could be a very good find Daft Bat (it is not the first time I've seen Fare spelt Fore and the geography is a good fit). Daniel's 2nd child was born circa 1865, so the timeframe is plausible. Were Union soldiers and Confederate soldiers buried in the same cemetery though????

Interestingly when I looked up a Civil War listing today the "Fare's" in the Union listing were mostly spelt "Fair" whereas the Confederate forces were mostly spelt "Fare". I wonder whether that has anything to do with Elise adopting the spelling Fair in the 1870 census, or whether that was simply an error on the part of the census taker.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    GrannyBarb and Daft Bat like this.
  12. Oz Faremeister

That certainly looks like Elise and Ellen B, so that also confirms that poor Daniel has kicked the bucket sometime earlier. Great work Top Dogs.

GrannyBarb, Archie's Mum and Daft Bat like this.
  13. Oz Faremeister

I'd agree that Three Rivers is the clincher there, along with the daughter Nellie B in the 1880 census.

GrannyBarb and Archie's Mum like this.
  14. Oz Faremeister

Matches his address (Fleetwood) on his wedding entry

GrannyBarb likes this.
  15. Archie's Mum

Clinker? :rolleyes: I do like the lime flavoured ones best, also the pineapple. I meant 'clincher' but it came out wrong.

16. Archie's Mum

Sgt Daniel FORE, CSA Company B 39 th Mississippi. Not sure as Mississippi is a bit away from Three Rivers Michigan. 900 odd miles.

GrannyBarb likes this.
  17. Archie's Mum

39th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
    OVERVIEW:
    39th Infantry Regiment was organized at Jackson, Mississippi, during the late spring of 1862. Its companies were recruited in the counties of Simpson, Rankin, Scott, Newton, Hinds, and Monroe. About twenty-five percent of this unit was sick in June, and there were 29 officers and 541 men present for duty in July. Company I took part in the fight at Baton Rouge, then, assigned to General Beall's command, the regiment was captured at Port Hudson in July, 1863. After the exchange in December it totalled 220 effectives. Attached to Ross' and Sears' Brigade it was involved in the Atlanta Campaign, Hood's Tennessee operations, and the defense of Mobile. The regiment reported 7 casualties at New Hope Church, 30 at Kenesaw Mountain, 5 at the Chattahoochee River, and 48 in the Battle of Atlanta. Few surrendered with the Department of Alabama, Mississippi, and East Louisiana. Its commanders were Colonel W.B. Shelby, Lieutenant Colonel William E. Ross, and Majors R.J. Durr and W.Monroe Quin.

GrannyBarb and Oz Faremeister like this.
  18. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

In case you want to pinpoint where Elise came from -
    Staffordshire Advertiser 21st June 1862
    On the 19th instant at St Mary's Litchfield by the Ven. Archdeacon Moore, Daniel Fare Esq., of Fleetwood to Miss Oppliger of Neuveville, Canton Berne, Switzerland.

GrannyBarb likes this.
  19. Archie's Mum

An Ancestry enquiry has Chester O Hill/Hall born in 1841 Allegany NY and served in the 179th Infantry from Harensville NY. Wounded in action. I thought maybe Daniel was in the same regiment but its a long way from Three Rivers.

GrannyBarb likes this.
  20. Oz Faremeister

After more research Daniel Fore buried at Camp Chase Confederate Cemetery, Columbus, Ohio is definitely not my Daniel Fare. Daniel Fore is a Confederate POW from the Mississipp 29th Regiment. Daniel Fore's gravestone is shown below:
    upload_2020-6-9_18-51-43.png

GrannyBarb and Daft Bat like this.