Did George turn his life around?

Discussion in 'Criminal Ancestors' started by Bay Horse, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

George Edward Throp b. 1865 was a bit of a bad lad. He was the son of my great-grandmother's half-sister.

The last I was able to find on George, from Halifax, was a prison record detailing his release from Wakefield for the third time in November 1882 when he was sixteen. After that the trail goes cold.

The Throp surname is fairly uncommon away from the North of England but often gets misspelled as Thorp or Thorpe, and the 1871 census also has George under his stepfather's surname of Shaw. I can't find him in a census after 1881.

I'm hoping that George, 'rogue and vagabond', somehow turned his life around. Did he go overseas after 1882? Did he change his name? :sceptical: I'm stumped.

2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

He's not the George Throp who died in Dewsbury in 1886 is he?
    No, sorry he was only a baby...should have checked first

Bay Horse likes this.
  3. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

I found 2 George's who came to Canada... the first one arrived on the Polynesian, May 13, 1883. He was age 19 listed as Geo Thorp . He was listed as a labourer and arrived in Quebec City.
    The other arrived in Quebec City Sept. 11. 1910.. birth about 1868. He is listed as George Thorpe and said he was an insurance salesman? . He arrived on the ship, Lake Manitoba.

Bay Horse likes this.
  4. Bay Horse

Yes, I'd noted the baby in Dewsbury, AM. Thanks for looking.

That first George is interesting, Sue. I don't have any worldwide subs at the minute but have seen a Quebec link appear numerous times when digging. My gut feeling is that the second man definitely isn't him, simply because his prison records stated that his reading and writing skills were poor - or rather, 'imperfect'.

There's a George Throp death in Winnipeg in 1928 but he was born in Sale, Cheshire, son of a painter. Not my man.

I have looked for this chap for a number of years now. I think it may well be a brick wall that never comes down, unfortunately.

On passing sentence in 1882 the judge reportedly said that unless he changed his ways he was heading for the gallows. :(

5. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

I also found George Thorp on the 1891 census, right age.., born in England, married to an Ont. born woman, but I can't find a marriage . I will pm you details.
    What were George's parents names? Where was he born?
    I have found some marriages in other places, but don't know if they are his.

6. Bay Horse

Thank you, Sue. Born Skircoat area of Halifax, Yorkshire (West Riding), illegitimate, mother Emma (Throp). His recorded occupations on prison records are millworker and plasterer.

Half Hour likes this.
  7. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Is this the same Emma THROPE born Halifax found on 1861 as a servant with the Kauhlin family?
    Young 18 year Harry, articled clerk, seems to me to stand out as a could be daddy......:sceptical: but the surname also doesn't appear again anywhere. Just the 1861. Could they have changed their name to Collins?
    I was wondering if he could have changed his name to Daddy's. But seems not.
    We have an illegitimate ancestor fathered by a lawyer and he put dads surname down as his second name later in life. Perhaps to help him along a bit in the world.

Bay Horse and Half Hour like this.
  8. Bay Horse

I like your thinking, Sue, but Emma was born 1843. She actually died about four weeks after her wayward son was released from prison for the third time. She was only 38. She married Joseph Shaw in 1868 when George was about three. Joseph remarried after Emma died.

His third crime was committed virtually on his own doorstep. He may not have returned to Halifax for that reason.

Possibly another name to look out for is George Allen, from Otley. This was someone he befriended in prison. :(

9. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I've found a couple of brief reports in the papers of the last crime, and George Allan was actually your George's accomplice. Have you seen the report and, if not, do you want?

10. Bay Horse

I'm fairly sure that I have them both on file upstairs, Ann (not the sort of thing one wants to discover about an ancestor), but perhaps it mightn't be a bad idea to refresh my memory please.

They are recorded together on the 1881 census at Wakey; I suspect they shared a cell. After their release they became accomplices, as you have discovered.

Don't you agree, it's rather odd that it all goes quiet? He may not have returned to the town on his release, but I would expect him to resurface again - in the papers, at the Old Bailey... somewhere. :(

11. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I'll e-mail the report to you Jenny, along with the brief one about George stealing his Aunt Phobe's watch :rolleyes:

As you say, not the sort of thing you want to discover, but discover them we do. I've looked high and low in the papers to try and find a clue as to what happened to him, the only thing I can come up with, other than him going abroad, is that he changed his name? If that's the case, you don't have much of a chance :( I can't believe that he would have stayed in the vicinity of his home town.

Bay Horse likes this.
  12. Bay Horse

Yes, Ann - you are thinking along the same lines. I have looked for any George of the same age living with or near half-siblings or other family, with no luck.

Many thanks for the email.

George Allen, accomplice. There is a George Allen, Methodist, born England, in the 1891 Canadian census working as a domestic with the Pollock family in Ontario. My Throps were big Methodists, so it is likely that Allen was, too. No sign of a George Throp though.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    AnnB likes this.
  13. Bay Horse

(I have just found a delightfully named 'Remember Thorp' living in Wisconsin).

I am inclined to give up on George now, having spent the best part of a week digging over old ground without turning anything up. I don't think he intended to be found again.

Many thanks for your help. :)

Half Hour, Daft Bat and AnnB like this.