DNA kits....

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by wendymac, Jun 7, 2019.

1. wendymac

wendymac Well-Known Member

I don’t know anything really about these kits. I keep seeing adverts for them on TV, Ancestry, emails etc...

Can anyone explain what information you receive and which is the best one to buy.
    Are there different ones for different things like, family history, or living relatives etc ?

Xxxx

2. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

I did mine with Anc. (a Christmas gift). You get an Ethnicity Estimate (where you came from geographically- but it is vague*) and then a list of any other
    Ancestry members who share dna with you, listed in closest matches to you.

Ancestryclaim to have the biggest database of people's dna results, and those people should be interested in family history, but not always the case as I think the tests are given as gift and once seen the 'owners' are not really bothered any further .

I discovered that my grandad had been married prior to his marriage to my nan (he put single on that m/c - so I never thought to look for a previous family), and that I have family living in Australia:).

On the down side, I have tried to contact other 'close' matches and either got no reply or that they are not interesting in pursuing where the dna match originates from:(.

*my husband has done his too - English father and Irish mother his ethnicity comes in at 52% English/Northern Europe 48% Irish/Scottish - so no surprises there!

AnnB, Sis, Bay Horse and 5 others like this.
  3. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I Also tested with Ancestry, I've found many Paternal family members some I knew of & some the offspring of such. One or two Maternal matches so appreciated & hundreds [thousands] of folk in America who may be -or not- reams away from known rellies. I uploaded to GEDmatch & found many more- some known same as in Ancestry. Then also uploaded to myheritage that was fun too. Found more who were not linked to the former sites mentioned, then when you get to DNA PAINTER the real fun begins.

4. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

Mine (via Ancestry) was being managed by a cousin who paid for the tests but I've not had any updates/alerts since.

Any real interest would be in having another side of the family tested in order to confirm a suspicion I have about something... unfortunately it's too sensitive to even ask. :confused:

Dogsday, wendymac, Ma-dotcom and 3 others like this.
  5. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

I have only done mine with Ancestry. I have debated on uploading my results to Ged-match, but when I tried it wasn't successful ( likely thanks to non-techie me :() I try to check mine everyday for new matches. I have found a lot more relatives in Canada on my mum's paternal side and seem to have a lot on my Dad's paternal side whose connection is a mystery! It is amazing how you don't always share as much DNA with someone as you thought you would and share more with someone you don't know. My closest match is a probable 2nd or 3rd cousin and try as we might, we haven't figured out our connection, but my 2 2nd cousins who have also done their DNA show as probable 3rd and 4th cousins..it really does depend on how many common DNA segments you each inherited. My husband has had over twice as many results as me just with 4th cousin or closer matches. As for your Ethnicity estimate it is partially based on where your matches are from and they do change it so it is wise to click on the update . Mine seems pretty accurate. 92 % English/Welsh, 7 % Irish and 1% Portugal.
    Good luck and have fun if you go for it.... it helps find relatives, but is also frustrating when people do not reply...you just have to be patient.

Dogsday, wendymac, Sis and 2 others like this.
  6. Ma-dotcom

You probably now know that Gedmatch is now Gedmatch genesis. so you need to register here. Then the upload is made easy via the 2nd link.
    Code:
    https://www.gedmatch.com/login1.php

https://whoareyoumadeof.com/blog/2018/01/16/how-to-do-a-gedmatch-genesis-upload/
    p.s. you can then download all of the names for perusal at your leisure. [I had 3,000 at last count by them. ;)

7. Phil the Searcher

Phil the Searcher New Member

After enjoying matching my wifes Ancestry DNA to her known tree and still trying to work out her mystery GGrandfather, we decided to send in my sample to Ancestry for testing. Expecting, with an Irish surname, Irish to appear I was amazed to discover only 9% Irish and scottish ( my mothers family are distantly Scots) and 83% England and Wales with a bit of Norwegian thrown in.
    Looking at my matches nine out of ten were names unknown in my historical tree. After messaging five of them one came back with a detailed tree and I have worked out that there is only one possible source of the link, and that my father's biological father was definately not the man on his Birth certificate, but another man who lived in the same area and could have been known to the family.
    I have not determined the circumstances involved - an affair, sperm donation, who knows?? I think there is another child of my biological grandfather still alive, but well into his 90's, and hopefully one of his children test to confirm my hypothesis. I am still debating whether to ask my now known distant cousin if he has contact details for this side of the family.
    You never know what you will find out, but the Ancestry database has a lot of results and a lot of matches.

8. Ma-dotcom

Families are such fun, until you try to find them ;) It may still turn out that an - up till now - unknown relly from way back had a 'marriage, child, or unknown parent that was not broadcast about. Happened & still does.

I have such a huge amount from USA via Ancestry that I now probably won't bother to look into unless something rings a dingle. I have written them all down tho' & maybe one day will go further.

wendymac, Bay Horse and MollyMay like this.
  9. Amle

Amle Well-Known Member

I had my test done with Ancestry and 23and Me. I did then upload those results to the other big companies. Yes ancestry probably has the biggest database and more people who are interested in family history. I have had success there but I have also had success on 23and Me.
    It also depends on how much time you want to spend on it. Yesterday I grouped my fathers side matches, then my mothers side. I had a very big group left, that have quite close matches to me and all have the same names as each other. Something must have happened that wasn't talked about! I worked out that this mystery group were from my fathers side (by their matches). Then on my fathers side I worked out which of my matches link to my different lines and hey presto I have one line with no matches which I suspect this mystery group fit in and an innocent mistake made. So it's hard work and time consuming to make the DNA results work for you. I notice there is far less communicating between people, it's not always necessary. I miss that bit.
    There is plenty of information out there to explain things.
    Best of luck with whatever you decide.
    Elizabeth

10. dizzyme

dizzyme Well-Known Member

I tested with Ancestry & Family Tree DNA but have had more success with Ancestry, who have the largest database of about 15 million so far. Was able to smash a brickwall of many years re my gt grandfather who couldn't be found... Turns out he was illegitimate and as a 10 yr old took on the name of the man his mother later married so no wonder I couldn't find a birth for him :headbang:
    I've also been able to confirm the surname of a unknown father with matches of 3rd cousins who have replied. There have been other matches which haven't replied but with some detective work, you maybe able to work out their trees and find the match!
    In September, I will be meeting a 4c1r, who is travelling to the UK which I am really looking forward too. Our match confirmed, that at least one of the sons (3 and 1 daughter), born before our 4th gt grandparents married was the biological son of my 4th gt grandfather, as my line is from a son born after the marriage :)
    Ancestry have a sale on at the moment, probably the others may as well as a Father's Day promotion.
    On thing to note, is that Ancestry do not let you upload results from other companies but other companies will let you upload to other sites.