DNA photographs

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Schnurrbart, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Schnurrbart

Schnurrbart Active Member

I had a DNA test kit for Christmas. I now know that I have lots of cousins and lots of them show their photographs. As I might want to add mine, is it de rigueur to make ones self look as naff as possible, or is it in my family's DNA?

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

:D

3. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

If it's in your DNA we must be related somewhere along the line :eek::D

Archie's Mum, Ma-dotcom and MollyMay like this.
  4. mikejee

mikejee Well-Known Member

I believe it must be in the camera's DNA, as all photographs of me look either sweet, innocent and boring or like I've just been released from prison, and there is no connection with which it is by time or place

Ma-dotcom and Archie's Mum like this.
  5. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

It depends what you mean by ‘naff’. I had to check that one out as it is not something we use here, as far as I know anyway.
    But my investigations find that it means, unstylish, lacking taste, inferior. :rolleyes: I’m sure neither you or Chimp are that.
    The bloke in your avatar is quite handsome though.

Ma-dotcom, Libby and Nightryder like this.
  6. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

You should have seen my army identification photo, I looked like someone from a criminal record source, very short hair and nearly a scowl. They had been marching us all day and then took us for the photos, we were told not smile, I can't imagine anyone at that stage being capable of smiling, in fact most of us were close to wanting to kill anyone with one or two stripes on their arm. :mad: :D

Flook, Ma-dotcom, Libby and 3 others like this.
  7. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

I have seen some pretty ridiculous photos and some quite nice. I even have a Santa Claus for a relative! I do not like the selfies where they look like they are posing for a bar pick-up. To me that does not look like someone interested in genealogy.

Ma-dotcom, Chimp and Daft Bat like this.
  8. Schnurrbart

Schnurrbart Active Member

"It depends what you mean by ‘naff’. I had to check that one out as it is not something we use here, as far as I know anyway.
    But my investigations find that it means, unstylish, lacking taste, inferior. :rolleyes: I’m sure neither you or Chimp are that.
    The bloke in your avatar is quite handsome though."

Thanks for that. As for Naff, it has a variety of meanings. My 1887 NUTTALL'S STANDARD DICTIONARY has "A kind of tufted sea-fowl". In the 1970s, Naff was used in the TV series Porridge (itself a slang word for prison) as a substitute for an unusable on TV swear word, eg "darn your own naffing socks", "doing naff all" ( compare with GABA). A third carryover from the series came into the public spotlight when in April 1982 Princess Anne told a press photographer to "Naff Orf"
    PS Just seen it in a 1841 American (Webster's) Dictionary as Naff or Nafe a "tufted sea-fowl"

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    HildaW, Findem, Elsiesgirl and 2 others like this.