Do I have the correct marriage?

Discussion in 'BMD Certificates' started by erica, Mar 15, 2014.

1. erica

erica New Member

I am looking for the marriage of Joseph Richardson, born 13 January 1838 in Middlesex.

In 1851 he was living 106 Warwick Street, St George Hanover Square with his father (Joseph Richardson - Professor of flute) and family.(ED45ss, schedule 35, piece 1478, folio 576, page 9)
    The 1861 census appears to be missing for this area.

I have found a marriage in the BMD index in 1865, St George Hanover Square, to Elizabeth Sarah Bailey and they appear on the 1871 census with his occupation as Bankers Clerk. The family have 2 servents and a monthly nurse living with them which seems excessive for the money earned by a clerk? ( ED 2, schedule 16, piece 421, folio 21, page 4.)

However, Joseph senior played flute in Queen Victoria's private band so money could have come from there?

I'm not sure I have the correct marriage - can anyone find anything different?

Thank you,
    Erica.

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

One way to confirm would be to lay your hands on a copy of the birth certificate for one of the children as it will provide the mother's maiden name. :)

Bertha Lizzie RICHARDSON, September quarter 1868, St George Hanover Square registration district, volume 1a, page 329

3. Daft Bat

Having had a look at the 1871 census, although there are 3 servants listed, one is a general maid (who would have lived in), another was a monthly nurse (who would probably have had her 'proper' home elsewhere) and the occupation of the third was that of messenger. Now, as he was also recorded as being married, I would have thought that his 'proper' home might have been elsewhere.

4. erica

erica New Member

Thanks,
    The trouble is, it might not be the right Joseph Richardson!
    I need to find a marriage record to prove he is the son of the flute player and this is where I am stuck!

5. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

You can see a scan of the marriage register (for St Michael's church, Pimlico) in Findmypast's Westminster Marriages collection. It confirms that Joseph's father was also Joseph, a Professor of Music. His bride's father, William Bailey, was a 'Servant in Royal Household'.

6. Daft Bat

Excellent find. :)

Huncamunca likes this.
  7. erica

erica New Member

That's brilliant. Thank you so much. So I did have the right person.
    Joseph senior was my gr gr grandma's brother.

Ma-dotcom, Chimp and Huncamunca like this.