Domestic staff research resources

Discussion in 'Domestic Staff' started by Grey Lady, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Grey Lady

Grey Lady New Member

Hi
    Can anyone recommend any good resources to research people in domestic service?
    If anyone knows of any good archives,publications, websites etc I'd be very grateful for the information.
    Thanks

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Hi There,

The Society of Genealogists have a publication which is excellent: My Ancestor was in Service by Pamela Horn. The blurb reads "By the end of the Victorian era nearly a third of all women and also many men in England and Wales had been a domestic worker at some time in their lives. This book seeks to give some guidance in researching ancestors who were in service or who themselves employed domestic staff."

I know that you can obtain a copy from Parish Chest for £8.50. If you go to their website (parishchest.com) and pop the reference SOG-1197x into the search box, it will take you through to that page.

Malcolm Webb and Bay Horse like this.
  3. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Can you be a bit more specific Grey Lady? What neck of the woods are we talking about? What sort of date? I'm sure we can come up with something, but we need a little more information :)

Ann

4. Grey Lady

Grey Lady New Member

thanks so much for this information - much appreciated. I'll try to get hold of it from the library

5. Grey Lady

Grey Lady New Member

hi Ann
    I'm looking into the staff at Cranford House, Middlesex, owned by the Berkeley family,but they may also have worked for the Berkeleys in Gloucestershire. I've noticed that a few of the staff came from Sussex. One significant family are the Cronks - housekeeper and head gardener and another is the Sadler family who were the last inhabitants of the house in the 30s - there were Sadlers on the staff from the 1841 census.

6. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

The Berkeley family archives appear to be held at the Berkeley Castle Muniments. There may be account books, or similar, within these archives which may prove useful - although I think you would be very lucky if this proved to be the case.

There is no web-site or e-mail address, but you will find the contact details at http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/archon/searches/locresult_details.asp?LR=2189 It would be worth your while contacting the archivist to see if they can help.

Ann

7. Grey Lady

Grey Lady New Member

Many thanks