Dunster, Somerset - James & Masson

Discussion in 'Somerset' started by Ma-dotcom, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I have this morning on Ancestry found the marriage of my 6th Gt. G'Parents without realising I was looking. However it's a bit jumbled in the transcription :
    Name: George James
    [Georgius James] -not on image
    Marriage Date: 29 May 1720
    Marriage Place: Dunster, Somerset, England
    Parish as it Appears: Dunster
    Phillimore Ecclesiastical Parish Map:
    Spouse: Luerdig Masson [Lucretia] - my input. (letter E from 'Evans ' in line below perhaps confused the trancsriber.)
    Lovely to see where my Lucretia's name originated- one of them. Of course I went looking for Lucretia Masson's origins. FMP has her marriage & some burials for that name.
    F. search is bewildered & Ancestry offers Lucretia Mason baptised on 1 Oct 1702.
    Baptism Place: St Saviour, Southwark, Surrey, to Luke & Christian Mason. Can any one offer another place to look for her Baptism or do I run with that one?

I do find a George James son of Thomas & Catrin James Baptised in 1700
    Gorge James BAPTISM: 27 Dec 1700 - Upton Noble, Somerset. image does seem to include an 'e' in George.

Any help happily accepted.

George James -marriage Dunster, Somerset.JPG

2. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Burial of Lucretia James (widow) 28/11/1836 - Dunster
    Burial of George James 11/6/1721 son of George James - Dunster
    Burial of George James 23/8/1730 - Dunster

Bay Horse and Ma-dotcom like this.
  3. MollyMay

The only bap (on FMP) in Dunster is Lucretia 11/10/1721 d/o George

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  4. Ma-dotcom

Thank you so much Molly May. I had to see to some things, & now must take 'new/used' car into shop for more fixin's.
    Lucretia is the only baptism I had so fr for a child of George- possibly found on FMP some time back. Haven't had space today to find more. Much appreciate the above burials. Will try for more children etc after bathing dog-if we manage it :D

Half Hour and MollyMay like this.
  5. MollyMay

There are 2 Masson families baptising children in Minehead (near to Dunster) 1695 +/- 10 years
    Thomas and Elizabeth or Philip and Christian

There are Masons (one 's') in Dunster no wives named, children of James, George or Charles - no Lucretia though.

There is one bap 1763 (no name or sex) Mason in Minehead parents Thomas and Elizabeth

Upton Noble is some way from Dunster - there are these 2 baps for a George James a bit closer
    23/11/1680 s/o Robert - Dunster
    10/9/1699 s/o James and Elizabeth - Minehead

Half Hour likes this.
  6. Ma-dotcom

Thank you again Molly May Sue, it's been a full morning here but time to stop & search again had no luck with Lucretia Masson.
    Anc. didn't come up with Lucretia James b. 1721 until I dropped the James [Janes in their interpretation], I had found that on FMP. It still shows from my searches during sub. days.
    I did find a George James s/o George 2015 Dunster. Also a Richard James Bapt. 1716 which is actually an obvious Burial.

Half Hour and MollyMay like this.
  7. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

FreeReg has the burial at Dunster of a Georg MASSON on 27 April 1690 and another burial at Dunster on 4 May 1704 of a John MASSON - no other information. Burial at Dunster St George on 24 January 1719/20 of an Elizabeth MASSON, widow.

I wonder if this could be relevant somehow, again from FreeREG, given the forename. Marriage at Dunster St George on 26 February 1700/01 of a Charles MASON & Lucretia STEVENS. More speculative perhaps is a burial record at Carhampton, Minehead, of a Charles MASON on 12 August 1711 or one at Carhampton on 22 April 1711 - Charles and Lucretia MASON did have a son Charles in 1710, so could one burial be husband Charles and the other that of son Charles. Perhaps Lucretia was a widow when she married George JAMES?? I did say it was speculative!

Janet

Ma-dotcom, Half Hour and Jellylegs like this.
  8. Ma-dotcom

"If you don't speculate you can't expect to prosper-late" or words to that effect. [remembered from the Aussie film " Smiley" or it's follow up.]
    Thank you Janet. I needed a Mother for my Lucretia b. 1721 father George, according to Church records- who later married in Horsleydown, Surrey. The only Lucretia with father 'George' so far found was in Dunster.

If correct, I wonder if the family moved to Bermondsey are or if Lucretia went there to work.
    Then again perhaps a 'widow Lucretia James' married someone else. Thanks again Janet, all helps to get to the correct beginning - we hope. ;)