Duplication on Anc

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Schnurrbart, Apr 29, 2022.

1. Schnurrbart

Schnurrbart Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's down to accepting "hints" but I've now got Duplicate entries on my family tree. Well maybe not quite duplicate, maybe a little out on detail. The persons involved "Facts" are correct on their own profile, but say they appear as a mother on their child's profile, then that's where the "duplication" occurs. That in itself is mildly annoying, but what is worse is that I can't delete the offending entries. Any ideas?

2. Eve

Eve Well-Known Member

A while back I kept coming across duplicates and while I'm not saying I might not occasionally trip up, there were too many and often in families that I know like the back of my hand, so really unlikely I would be so slapdash. I eventually put it down to adding information with the then new "hints" format, So I pay a bit more attention if adding from there now and haven't come across any more.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  3. Londoner

Londoner Will always roll up her sleeves and dig around

it may be easier to use the "Merge" facility rather than trying to delete individuals. you just need to ensure that the one you have most detail for is the preferred person.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  4. Andromeda

Andromeda Well-Known Member

Without knowing what type of 'fact' is being repeated its hard to advise.

But if I've understood you correctly, the 'fact' is appearing on the right person, then being repeated on the 'wrong' person. If that's right, have you tried deleting it on the correct person to see if it then vanishes from both of them?

If that works then you should be able to add it again just to the right person.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  5. Schnurrbart

I should have made it clearer. This may help. I want to delete the second death entry, but I don't know how, there seems to be no edit function. When I go to Eliza's profile it shows only the Bef 22 Jun 1834 detail.

Attached Files:

6. Andromeda

Andromeda Well-Known Member

Ah, I'm with you now, its what you see on the 'show family events' view for the daughter.

All I can suggest is that you completely delete the fact on the mother, then re-enter it & see what happens. It may be in the background somewhere as an 'alternative fact' and for some reason its pulling them both through.

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  7. Schnurrbart

Thanks to All. Some have been cleared up by using merge, the rest I'll leave for another day.

Ma-dotcom, Daft Bat and Bay Horse like this.