E.G. Strike to Australia - maybe

Discussion in 'Migration & Shipping' started by The Artful Dodger, Feb 15, 2018.

1. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

Edward George Strike was baptised in Stoke Climsland son of Edward and Emma on 28 Dec. 1864.
    On 3 Sep. 1870 his mother Emma was buried and in 1871 census, he was the eldest of 4 children living with his widowed father and a Housekeeper - Mary Strike - his father's unmarried sister. The youngest child was William George aged 7months who was baptised on the same date as his mother was buried.
    On 15 Jun 1871 Mary Strike was married to Charles Martin in Stoke Climsland and Edward still had needs for someone to care for his children while he worked as a Groom [3 were aged 3 or younger when Mary married].

His father - Edward - 'found' a Margaret Edwards [not found in 1871 census or earlier] and they were married in Stoke Damerel on 10 Apr. 1873. Edward and Margaret later moved to Little Houghton, Northamptonshire and was employed as a Coachman. 3 of his 4 children were with him and his wife was in hospital in London. The missing son was Edward George.

I have found an Edward Strike working as a Servant in 1881 in Lamerton, Devon but as he was born in Tavistock in 1866, I have discounted him.

There is a possibility that he was the Edward Strike who was enlisted 1887 in the 16th Lancers, but as his age is given as 21 I am of the opinion that he is the same Edward as above.

I think that Edward George was in Australia some time either prior to or after the 1881 census but cannot find his date of departure.
    There are a lot of details that I have on Edward George in Oz including a return to England [alone] from Sydney arriving London 3 Jul. 1916. He was aged 51 and occupation Bootseller. He returned to Oz 3 Oct. 1916 and his occupation is shown as Bookseller. Another thing is a marriage in Oz in Redfern reg.#6463/1890 but there is no PDF availability.

2. The Artful Dodger

I'm 99% certain this is my bloke. The death registration #24197/1947 indicates that his father was Edward but mother unknown. The likely informant was his widow Alice who died in 1950. It is possible Edward George never mentioned his mother or stepmother to Alice.

The 5 children they had were Lilian A [1893-1893], Ethel [1895], Lilian [1897], Elsie [1900] and Mary [1903]. The Lilian A [1893] appears to be in reference of naming pattern to his own sister Lilian Alice.

3. Doug

Doug Administrator. The Main Man. Staff Member

Hi Colin.

Edward died 15 October 1947 at his residence, 33 Dartbrook rd, Auburn in NSW.

You can find a newspaper death notice by searching on Trove.

The Artful Dodger likes this.
  4. The Artful Dodger

Thanks Doug. Viewed it - sadly it makes no reference to how long he had been in Oz nor does it mention his family in England.