Early Christian Names

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Stafford, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Stafford

Stafford Well-Known Member

Researching family members circa 1620 - 1720 in Much Wenlock Shropshire, I found several baptisms for Johis. Can anyone suggest a modern equivalent? Joseph was Josephus. Could it be John or Joshua? Both of these were family names of members of later generations.

2. Findem

Findem The Fearless One. Rest in Peace.

Johis is John, I've quite a number of Johns who appear as Johis. Something I've noted is that if during a period of time when families were having children baptised, and a new Rector is appointed in the Parish, suddenly Johis becomes John.

If you see Johes filius Johis it's John son of John.

3. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

This question was posed on Rootschat The answer most likely was that some churches insisted on the latin entry for the parish records. He would probably have bee baptised John but entered into the register as the latin, Johannis/Johis.

Stafford likes this.
  4. Findem

Findem The Fearless One. Rest in Peace.

According to my Simple Latin Guide booklet John can also be found recorded as Joannes, Johanis and believe it or not Ioannes, note the first letter of Ioannes is an i not a lower case L as it appears in this font.

Bay Horse and Stafford like this.