Early church registers

Discussion in 'Church Records' started by Dogsday, May 8, 2019.

1. Dogsday

Dogsday Well-Known Member

I've been rooting around today trying to find any transcripts for Sigglesthorne & Mappleton, East Riding of Yorkshire

I have a George Dunn who married Mary Dandy in Mappleton 1739. FMP shows George's residence as Sigglesthorne so thought he may have been born there but no records seem to be available that go back far enough, any ideas of where to look?

BTW, Mappleton was also known as Great Hatfield & Hatfield Magna

2. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

Unless I am mistaken, they are on FMP

Bonzo Dog and Flook like this.
  3. Jellylegs

4. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

I haven't looked at any images, but I had a look at FMP's item entitled "Yorkshire Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts Browse", and, just to confirm what Jellylegs says, there are PRs and BTs for Mappleton and Sigglesthorne, all starting much earlier than 1739.

Sometimes, possibly particularly with things that have been added fairly recently, they aren't fully indexed, so you can only find what you want by browsing.

5. Dogsday

Thank you both, I'm not very good at searching, I expect things to come up as soon as I enter names, dates & places as on FamilySearch but obviously not working that way :rolleyes:, I will go back to FMP & start again

Ma-dotcom, Jellylegs and arthurk like this.
  6. Jellylegs

Have you any idea when he died and what age he was? Might narrow down the searching a bit.

7. Dogsday

No J, I have very little info, I think I'm going to have to put this on the backburner again, I browsed through the transcripts this afternoon, I did find the death of his daughter Anne in 1745 Mappleton but nothing pointing to George's birth except for a George Dunn in Withernwick 1717, father George Dunn. Ah Well....

Ma-dotcom and Jellylegs like this.