East Indies 1891 - 1897

Discussion in 'Other Conflicts' started by LeslieS, Jan 1, 2016.

1. LeslieS

LeslieS Well-Known Member

My gt g'dad served there during above period, before being sent to S Africa. His regimental history page just says Regiment was in E. Indies. What was going on there, and where? This was long after the Indian uprisings, I believe. I need to search net myself for British Military conflicts, but would love to hear from anyone with knowledge specifically of this period and place?

2. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

That's interesting Leslie, I can't ever recall hearing or reading of British Troops being in the East Indies, unless places like Malaya, Borneo, Brunei, Sarawak and Labuan, as they were known then, were considered part of the East Indies.

LeslieS likes this.
  3. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Weren't parts of East Indies British Protectorates? North Borneo, Sarawak and Brunei. South Borneo was Dutch and part of the Dutch East Indies?

LeslieS likes this.
  4. LeslieS

The Munsters website seem to have updated in the last few days re his Battalion with following info -

The 2nd Battalion was stationed at The Curragh from 1879 until 1881 then at Aldershot before moving to Malta where it was stationed from 1882 to 1884. In 1884-85 the Battalion was stationed at Kamptee in central India and in 1886, following the annexation of Burma by the British, the Battalion moved into Upper Burma and participated in the conquest of that country. It returned to India in 1888 and remained there until 1901 being stationed in various parts of the north-east.

Source :
    Code:
    http://www.rmfa92.org/history/
    Maybe they classed Burma as East Indies, I guess so, though I think something else was happening in Malaysia at the time. He spent 5 years in "East Indies" then sent to South Africa for a year, though I think all hostilities were up there by then.

Findem likes this.
  5. Archie's Mum

Maybe meant as East India!!! rather than East Indies.

Findem and LeslieS like this.
  6. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

I did wonder about that too A M, but I would have thought anyone entrusted with keeping those records would know the difference between East India and the East Indies, then again perhaps not. :D

LeslieS likes this.
  7. LeslieS

Just check his record for the 1889 - 1902 period and def says Indies. Thanks Sue and Derek.

Findem likes this.
  8. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

What I meant and I suspect A M did too, is there a chance the clerk wrote East Indies meaning East India? Most likely not, it was just a passing thought, probably brought to mind because there once was an East India Company, so my brain seized on it. :)

Bonzo Dog, Ma-dotcom and Archie's Mum like this.
  9. LeslieS

That's what I thought you both meant. Checked just in case I had it wrong :). Coincidently, 2nd Regiment was formed from two units originally formed to protect East India company interests.

Ma-dotcom, Archie's Mum and Findem like this.
  10. Archie's Mum

Merriam-Webster dictionary describes East Indies as, East India, South Eastern Asia, including India and the Malay Archipelago.
    So there you have it. The British Army was correct.
    Over here we tend to accept East Indies as those around the Malay Archipelago but looks like it includes all of the above. ;)

Findem, Bonzo Dog and Ma-dotcom like this.