Edward Denziloe, his wife and daughter

Discussion in 'Dorset' started by The Artful Dodger, Mar 12, 2018.

1. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

Edward Denziloe married Elizabeth Cole 7 Feb. 1747 in Bridport Dorset. An Elizabeth Cole was baptised in Hinton St. Mary, Dorset on 19 Apr. 1723 [father John and mother illegible]. He and Elizabeth had 2 daughters - Sarah [1750] and Betty [1754] and it is the 2nd daughter as well as the father that I'm pursuing.

Apart from his marriage there is nothing else known and a troll of sources available to me have produce nothing except a possible sighting of an Edward Denziloee in the Dorset, England, Quarter Sessions Order Books 1625-1905 for the year 1803 which may or may not be my Edward.

As their last child appears to have been baptised in 1754 I have found what I think is her burial on 8 Mar. 1758 in St. Mary, Bridport - transcribed as ELIS Denziloe.

As for Betty she was baptised as such on 17 Apr. 1754 in St. Mary, Bridport and again nothing definite can be found on her. There is a burial in Bridport of an Elizabeth Denziloe on 23 Aug. 1771. Could this be Betsy who changed her given name?

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

I know that the entry is listed as a baptism but the original looks more like a burial. I am sure that I can see the word 'buryed' in there....

The Artful Dodger likes this.
  3. The Artful Dodger

Not quite sure I :p"LIKE":D this post particularly if I have the wrong baptism!! Twas the only one I could find and to my eye the image of the Parish register was pretty gruesome and so I went with the transcription which stated it was a Baptism and for the name of the mother it stated Madam Cole.

Hope I was correct and that someone can decipher the name of the mother, however if I'm wrong then please find me the correct baptism.

4. Daft Bat

This is a snip of the entry to which you refer. It looks to me as though the mother's name is Rachel.
    Cole.JPG

It seems (to me) to read:
    Elizabeth ye dafter (daughter) of Mr John Cole of ???? Rachel was buryd ye 11th (could be 19th) April 1723 in (probably) linen.

Genie1, The Artful Dodger and Sis like this.
  5. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

I read the same as Jan, including the question marks.

6. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

Could it say dafter of Mr John Cole & Madam Rachel ?

7. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Would the use of Mr (and perhaps Madam) signify someone of importance?

The Artful Dodger and Sis like this.
  8. Daft Bat

I like that. Quite possibly. :)

The Artful Dodger and MollyMay like this.
  9. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I agree it’s a burial, and, I thought at first, it said ‘mother Rachel’, but I have to admit it looks more like ‘madam’ than ‘mother’.

Daft Bat and The Artful Dodger like this.
  10. The Artful Dodger

Not likely in my family was anyone of importance. So obviously this is a burial so I'm back to square one. Can we find the correct baptisms to go along with the marriage in 1747, the 2 baptisms of daughters in 1750 and 1754 and a likely death since the one I have may not be my folks.

11. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Looking at the parish registers of Bridport there are three male COLEs mentioned at about the time when Elizabeth would have been born, i.e. a William COLE from 1722, an Elias COLE who is married to a Mary from 1734 so perhaps a little late and a John COLE who married an Elizabeth BALSTON at Bridport on 21 May 1728. I think you are correct that the burial you have found is Edward's wife as the parish register shows Elis: DENZILOE which indicates a contraction of the name Elisabeth.

Can't look any further at the moment, I'm afraid - SOS call to go to pick up grandson!

Janet

12. The Artful Dodger

The John Cole and Elizabeth Balston look interesting and the death of an Elis: Denziloe in 1758 matches.

I'm not sure if this could be her being baptised 4 Aug. 1735 as I can't see an original of the Parish register. The place of baptism was Piddletrenthide which is about 20 +/- miles from Bridport and is a baptism of an Elizabeth Cole to parents John and Elizabeth. Could it be?

13. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Unfortunately, the parish register image gives no more information other than she was the daughter of John & Elizabeth COLE but it does seem to be the only baptism to this couple at Piddletrenthide - lovely name by the way!

However, there is a baptism at Loders on 28 April 1730 of a Thomas son of John & Elizabeth COLE of Yondover?, which is also pretty close to Bridport and ties in with the marriage date of 1728.

Janet

14. The Artful Dodger

Looking at this family again - I'm a glutton for punishment :D and I've been scanning parish records in Dorset on Ancestry.

Don't see any thing that sets my chain a-jerking yet.

15. The Artful Dodger

I wonder --- was the baptism of my Elizabeth in 1730 not listed

John Cole married Elizabeth Balston 21 May 1728 in Bridport.
    John Cole and Elizabeth baptised Thomas [in Loders] 28 Apr. 1730. Loders less than 3 miles from Bridport.

Then there is the baptism in Piddletrenthide for Elizabeth 4 Aug. 1735. This place is about 20 +/- miles from either Loders or Bridport.

I have found a burial in Loders of Elizabeth Cole spouse of John on 7 Oct. 1784.

As for the Piddletrenthide entries I have a burial of Elizabeth Cole wife of John in Woolen only on 4 Aug. 1735. This conflicts with the baptism on the same date but regardless I believe we can eliminates her from the equation.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018