Edward HOMER

Discussion in 'Newspapers & Other Publications' started by Daft Bat, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Robert Leeson HOMER died on 17th April 1931 in Bourne, Lincolnshire at the age of 57. His wife Clara woke up that morning to find him dead in bed beside her. :eek:

There was a newspaper report in the Lincolnshire Echo of that day (17th April 1931) that includes the following paragraph:

upload_2020-2-10_8-22-27.png

His father, to whom the report refers, was Edward HOMER, who died on 26th February 1886 at the age of 45. Both men had heart disease.

I have had a rummage to see if there is a report of Edward's death - he ran the Red Lion Public House in South Street, Bourne - but can find nothing.

If an article can be found about the death of Edward, I would be grateful. :)

Word of warning: HOMER can look like HORNER in lower case (Homer/Horner) so open to mistranscriptions.... :headbang:

2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Could this be he?
    Harold Edward Homer abt 1890 Oct-Nov-Dec 1890 Louth Lincolnshire

Sorry thoughts have flown leaving me in a muddle, I didn't note death year ofyour post.
    How about this one?
    Edward Homer abt 1842 Jan-Feb-Mar 1887 Bourne Lincolnshire

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  3. Daft Bat

Thank you for looking, @Ma-dotcom :)

I have the birth and death certificates for both Robert and Edward. It is just seeing if there is a newspaper report for Edward's death on 26th February 1886 that I am after.

As the newspaper report for Robert mentioned that his father had died in similar circumstances, I was hoping that there might be a newspaper report for Edward - especially as he ran a pub.... well known and all that... ;)

4. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Have you seen the report of Robert's funeral? It appears in the Grantham Journal of the 25th April 1931 and is very informative, although it doesn't mention his father :sceptical: If you can't access it, let me know.

I can't find any mention of Edward other than his very brief death notice which appeared in the Lincolnshire Chronicle of 4th March 1887 and the Grantham Journal of the 5th March 1887 (not 1886).

5. Daft Bat

Sorry - slip of the finger... It should read 1887 and not 1886.:rolleyes:

I have the report of the funeral, thanks. :)

Thank you for looking. :reading:

AnnB likes this.