Edward Odell, Cranfield, 17th Century

Discussion in 'Wills & Probate' started by Amylynne, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Amylynne

Amylynne New Member

I have seen a secondary source reference a will for an Edward Odell [possibly with wife Martha] who mentions his granddaughter, Mary Baker. This Mary is said to have been born c1620 in the Cranfield area, and the daughter of William Baker & Mary Odell, Edward Odell's daughter. I suspect, his daughter Mary had already passed, and is the Mary Baker, wife of William Baker buried at St Peter & St Paul, but it is uncertain. The problem is...I cannot find any will for any Edward Odell in the 17th century...nevermind the correct one. I suspect this Edward Odell is the same who is referred to as "Edward Odell of the Ashe" in this record:

Bedfordshire Archives & Records Reference PE14 Title Conveyance (feoffment): £12 i) Timothy Wheeler of Cranfield, yeoman, Joseph Wheeler of the same, yeoman, and Ephraym Wheeler of the same, yeoman, to ii) Edward Odell (called Edward Odell of the Ashe) of Cranfield, yeoman , Date: 1637 19 Feb Production date From: 1637 To: 1637 Scope and Content - 2½ acres of arable lying together in a certain field in Cranfield called Perry Field between the land late of Thomas Reade on N., and land of William Odell on S., with appurtenances. Warranty clause. Witnesses to seisin: Michael Dymocke, [ ] Grassopp, marks of Abraham Odell, and of William Whybee Level of description item Persons/institution keyword Wheeler, Timothy, Wheeler, Joseph, Wheeler, Ephraym, Odell, Edward, Reade, Thomas, Odell, William, Dymoke, Michael, Grassopp, Odell, Abraham, Whybee, William

Any suggestions would be great. This may or may not help but I guess it is possible it was Woodell? I have been round & round searching the Bedfordshire Archives as well as the National Archives for this will, but am having no luck.

GrannyBarb likes this.
  2. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

Hi, Amylnne. I'm very ignorant on this topic, but I did find an article on Findmypast that mentions gaps in the records. Here's a link:

Code:
    https://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles/england-and-wales-published-wills-and-probate-indexes-1300-1858-volumes-available/bedfordshire
    (link is not live per forum rules).

Sis, Amylynne and Daft Bat like this.
  3. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

FMP also have the transcript of a baptism in 1625 at Cranfield for a Mary, daughter of William BAKER.

Ancestry have the PCC Will of Thomas BAKER of Cranfield proved in 1656 in which he mentions a son William, but you have probably already discovered that one. Just using Cranfield, Bedfordshire as a search parameter does not bring up anything for Edward, just a PCC Will for a Richard WODDELL dated 22 June 1658 plus two ODELL Wills in the 1800's

Sorry, not being much help here.

Janet

GrannyBarb likes this.