Edward Sabien/Sabin - Warwickshire

Discussion in 'Warwickshire' started by Kirsty Catalano, May 26, 2020.

1. Kirsty Catalano

Kirsty Catalano Active Member

Hello all! I hope you are well and staying sane in this crazy lock down! Things in Oz have quietened down somewhat but we're not quite back to normal just yet.
    I'm looking into my fathers side of the family today - particularly the Sabien's from Warwickshire. I'm trying to work out if I have the right line and haven't been mislead by Ancestry.com or other researchers.

My 3rd g-grandfather, Edward Sabien died in Lisomre, New South Wales on the 29th of June 1902. His parents are listed as Edward Sabien and Martha Cooke. Now, be prepared, there are a number of Edwards to follow - it can get confusing!

Here's the time line:

Edward Sabien born/baptised 29 March 1815, Sutton, Warwickshire, England died. 29 June 1902, Lismore New South Wales, Australia. Parents listed as Edward Sabien and Martha Cooke/Cook.

Edward Sabien, born 1777 Radford Semele, Warwickshire, England died 1843, Harbury, Warwickshire, England. Married Martha Cooke/Cook 1799 in Whitnash, Warwickshire. Had a number of children. No confirmation of Edwards' parents - could be either Michael Sabin and Martha C? or Edward Sabin and Ann Biddle?

Edward Sabien, born 1752? or 1769?, Radford Semele, Warwickshire, England, died 1785 in the same place. Married Anne Biddle, 1774 Newbold Pacey, Warwickshire, England. This Edward had siblings, Thomas Sabin, John Sabin and Emma Esther Sabin. Parents listed as Thomas Edward Sabin and Esther Mann. There is a will of Edward's brother Thomas, which confirms Thomas' mother's name as Esther and his sister as Emma, however, the Edward in my tree died in 1785 and his brother Thomas' Will leads me to believe that Edward was alive in 1801. This is where it gets really confusing.

Who are Edward Sabien born 1777 d. 1843's parents?

Are Edwards' (born 1752?) parents Thomas Edward Sabin born 1733 died. 1794 and Esther Mann born 1737 died 1801?

I'm fairly sure of the time line up until the question mark on Edward Sabien's born birth in 1752. I think I may have been mislead down the line somewhere and I'm hoping to get some kind of paper proof as to which line we're descended from. You guys are good at proving or disproving so I thought I would reach out!

Thanks so much, I hope I haven't confused anyone!! Take care!

Kirsty

2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Hi Kirsty, hope you are coping well.
    My ears always ***** up at the sound of Lismore...:D a much different place from what I remember.
    Firstly, you mention:
    I would guess 1752 married to Anne Biddle 1774 would make him 22 years....so this would be correct for that one.
    Now I'll concentrate on the others not that I have any subs but I'll scratch around a bit. Others will probably have more luck.
    Why was that ***** out? :confused: Gee Wizz

Kirsty Catalano likes this.
  3. Kirsty Catalano

Thanks Archie's Mum!! Let me know how you get on. His parents, Thomas and Esther were married in 1757 and his siblings were born between 1752 and 1779. This is why I'm wondering if Edward has different parents to his siblings. Anyway, see what you can find! I appreciate your help! :)

4. Archie's Mum

Edward Sabin 30 December 1777 father Edward mother Ann, Radford Semel FAMILY SEARCH Oooo there you are...Edward and Ann (Biddle?)
    1841 census has a 60 year old Edward Sabin with Mary also 60 and 35 year old Mary living at Kingston Farm Southem, Chesterton. Born Warwickshire. Not sure if it’s the same one. Out 4 years.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  5. Archie's Mum

i think the above is the one who dies in 1843 going by the address.
    Then there is a Mary Jane Sabin dies in Southam in 1865

6. Kirsty Catalano

I've looked on Family Search also - there is an Edward Sabin, born 5 April 1776, Radford Semele, Warwickshire, father Michael Sabin and Martha.

And there is the 30 December 1777 record for the same place, father Edward, mother Mary. How can I determine, which is which? ;):reading: :)

7. Archie's Mum

Edward Sabin 19 Feb 1752 father John mother Sarah Cubbington
    Edward Sabin 12 Oct 1774 Thomas and Jane Harbury
    Edward Sabin 5 April 1776 Michael and Martha
    Edward Sabin 30 December 1777 Edward and Ann
    Edward Sabin 15 November 1769 Harbury Thomas and Esther
    Food for thought :D

8. Archie's Mum

With a great deal of luck :nailbiting:

9. Kirsty Catalano

Far out! :nailbiting:

Archie's Mum likes this.
  10. Kirsty Catalano

There aren't many Sabien's spelled 'Sabien' born around the time we are looking, just 'Sabin'. I am hoping they are one and the same. :)

Archie's Mum likes this.
  11. Archie's Mum

The 1777 Edward mother is Ann

12. Archie's Mum

Edward born to Thomas and Esther was born in Harbury in 1769

13. Archie's Mum

Thomas Sabin married Esther Mann in Harbury in 1757 so your Edward must be the one born 1769

14. Archie's Mum

Oh Gosh, Im confused. Edward born 1752 to Thomas and Ester must have died young if there is another Edward born in 1769 to Thomas and Esther. Edward born 1769 it too young to marry in 1774

15. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Lichfield Will for an Edward SABIN of Radford Semele, Yeoman, dated 28 April 1785 and proved on 6 October 1785. Can't give you full details as it is on FMP, but mentions wife Ann, eldest son Edward and his various other children. Edward SABIN of Chesterton, Lichfield Will dated 3 January 1843 and proved on 5 August 1844, seems to likely to have been unmarried as he only mentions nephews and nieces amongst whom is an Edward SABIN of Frankton - again on FMP. There is another Will for a Thomas SABIN the elder of Harbury proved in 1758, again I cannot give you full details because it is on FMP, but mentions he is the son of Edward SABIN, married to a Sarah, and has a brother Edward SABIN. The Will of his widow Sarah proved in 1770 does not mention a son Edward but states that Thomas's brother Edward is of Radford Semele. I wonder if he could be the Edward SABIN who is buried at Radford Semele on 29 July 1779.

Warwickshire MIs of Harbury shows that Edward SABIN died 4 May 1843, aged 73 but he does look as if he married because there is an MI for his wife Betty who died in 1823 and 2 MIs for their children who died prior to their father. Thomas SABIN died 23 October 1758, aged 82 years, giving him a birthdate of c1676. Two other, perhaps relevant, MIs at Harbury, Thomas SABIN died 10 January 1780, aged 61 and Esther relict of Thomas SABIN died 19 July 1812, aged 75.

Unfortunately, the parish register marriage entry for Edward & Martha doesn't have any helpful witnesses as far as Edward is concerned at first glance as they were William COOKE & Sarah NEAL. Not too sure that any of this has been any help and I have to go out now so must stop.

Janet

Kirsty Catalano, Chimp and AnnB like this.
  16. Kirsty Catalano

Yes, this is where I'm confused too! Thanks so much for trying!
    Edward born 1777, Radford Semele died 1843, Harbury, married Martha Cooke but no relation to William Cook, present at their marriage. Is that right Janet?

Archies' Mum - If we can confirm the marriage of Edward Sabien/Sabin and Martha Cooke - I think Janet was saying that there's nothing useful there but it would be nice to find some documentation to confirm the parents this Edward, the one that married Martha Cooke. Then I think we'd be on the right track.

On the death certificate of Edward Sabien died 1902 in Lismore, parents are Edward Sabien, butcher and Martha Cook. His death certificate says he was born in Birmingham England but there is a baptism record:

St Mary, Warwick, year 1815
    29th of May 1815, Edward Sabin, son of Edward and Martha, Cocksparrow? Hall, Butcher.

Also, the immigration record I have for Edward Sabien/Sabin or Sabine, ship William Metcalf, a native of Warwick, parents Edward and Martha. Calling, Farm Labourer. He was 27 years of age. Engaged to work with James Leslie. Church of England.

Thanks for your help so far!!

17. Kirsty Catalano

Thanks Janet for your help!!!

18. Kirsty Catalano

Another piece of info...my 3rd great grandfather was 92 when he died in 1902. That puts his date of birth around 1810 but I've never been able to find anything that matches to that exact date. He couldn't read or write when he arrived in Australia so who knows if he actually knew his correct age or approximate date of birth.

19. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Just a few quickies as I am off out soon. Baptism at Radford Semele on 19? November 1799 of Anne daughter of Edward & Martha SABIN. Then no more children baptised at Radford Semele prior to 1812, so it looks as if they moved on to somewhere else. There is a baptism at Leek Wootton, Warwicks on 18 February 1801 of Harriot daughter of Edward & Martha SABIN followed by the baptisms there on 10 March 1802 of John and on 28 December 1803 for Charles, sons of Edward & Martha SABIN, baptism on 22 April 1805 at Coventry St John the baptism of a Jane daughter of Edward & Martha SABIN. Then there are 2 baptisms at Warwick St Mary, Edward in 1815 and one on 20 June 1819 for Elizabeth daughter of Edward & Martha SABIN.

Janet

20. Kirsty Catalano

This is good!! Thank you!! :)