Edward Theodore YOUNG

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by mugwortismy cat, Aug 4, 2015.

1. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

Married my cousin Lucy Ethel POOLE (daughter of Charles and Lucy, b 1884 Beaminster, Dorset) in Christchurch RD Sep 1903

He was born in Bow, London c 1879 (though I can't see a birth reg. under that name); the baptism of their first child in Bethnal Green has Edward Theodore's occupation as Soldier R.H.A. (Royal Horse Artillery?)

I have Lucy and Edward in 1911 in West Ham, at 129 Plashet Road, Plaistow [just around the corner from where I am right now :)], he is now an electric car driver for the council. Am I right to assume = TRAM driver??

He rejoins the Army during WW1, and his service records are on Ancestry (he is in the Royal Artillery), but they are fairly well damaged, I am hoping to find out from them (1) father (2) whether the Beatrice M born in 1915 in West Ham is his child (3) potential other children born before his final discharge in 1920

I haven't finished looking at them, so the answers may still be forthcoming, right now I am hoping there is some useful information on this faded faded image; if I am not hallucinating part of the address is Witney, Oxon; and the relationship is Wife. Can anyone work out anything else? or give me any idea how to beef up the writing?

Thanks
    from E T Young Army record.jpg

Huncamunca likes this.
  2. mugwortismy cat

Ok, a few images further along I have in the very last image (1) father Edward Theodore Young of 13 Shiplake Buildings, Calvert Avenue, Shoreditch

and confirmation of (2)

no other children

so now I have (1) hopefully I will be able to find Edward T the younger in the census

3. mugwortismy cat

Have found Edward as a soldier in Christchurch Barracks in 1901 without a problem. However, trawling three times through 100000000 and 1 Edward Young's and failing to find one born/living in Bow or environs with a father called Edward has given me Edward-itis. I think I can hear chocolate calling ...

Nightryder, Bay Horse and Daft Bat like this.
  4. mugwortismy cat

Well I have found the link to Witney :D. Lucy Ethel's brother Charles Henry Boyce POOLE married there in 1910, and can be found in 1911 with the family of his bride Ida Mary nee VINER

-- in said 1911 is a 3-year old George VINER, and I should like to know if he is Ida's son or that of her sister Laura

Can I ask @Huncamunca a favour?

Huncamunca likes this.
  5. SandieHall

SandieHall Active Member

Marriages Sep 1903
    Lucy Ethel Poole
    Edward Theodore YOUNG
    Christchurch- Vol No, 2b, Page no 1463
    This will give you fathers name

2 children on the 1911 Census
    Edward Charles 1905 Shoreditch

Ethel Beatrice 1909 West Ham, Essex

and I would say its possible that Beatrice M born in 1915 in West Ham is their daughter as the other daughter Ethel Beatrice was born in West Ham in 1909

mugwortismy cat likes this.
  6. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

Ask away!
    (My guess at the address was 80 or eighty-something High St.; the only roads called xxxx Street in Witney itself a century ago were High Street, Bridge Street - which wasn't long enough to have numbers up in the eighties - Mill Street and Corn Street.)

I am on the scent of the Youngs in London too, and am just writing up my findings.:)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  7. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Yep, I would say so :) Couple of sites which may be of interest

http://www.
    ltmcollection.org/museum/object/link.html?_IXMAXHITS_=1&IXinv=1981/531&IXexpand=servicedesign
    and
    http://
    transportheritage.com/find-heritage-locations.html?sobi2Task=sobi2Details&sobi2Id=749

Ann

8. Huncamunca

Health & Safety warning: very convoluted story. May require further chocolate supplies before it makes sense.

Looking for anyone called Theodore Young I came across this family in Plaistow in 1911:
    William Young, 29, carrier's clerk, born Bow
    with his wife Constance - married 1 year.
    and baby daughter Marjorie (under 5 months), born Plaistow
    plus father Theodore Young, 62, widower, a house painter, born Bow
    and brother Ernest Young 24, carrier's porter(?) born Bethnal Green

The father Theodore Young can be found on the 1901 census (transcribed as Kuodon Young on Ancestry, but if you squint very hard he turns into Theodore) with wife Annie born Leicester, and several children (but no Edward, which is a nuisance.).

Now this family seems to have come from nowhere - can't find hide nor hair of them before then. Had they changed their name?

I went back to William and Constance to see if I could find their marriage. A tree on Ancestry says William Theodore Young married Constance Alice Mayfield, but they had different parents for him.

There is a indeed a William Theodore Young marrying in the same quarter as Constance Alice Mayfield. But crucially a William Theodore Vanarkel is also listed with the same references. This could be just a coincidence, but then in 1910 the birth of a baby Constance M. Young (presumably Marjorie) is registered in the West Ham district and there is a Constance M. Vanarkel with same references.

Once you look for Vanarkels (or Van Arkels) instead of Youngs, things begin looking more promising. On the 1881 at 61 Huntingdon Buildings, Bethnal Green, there's this family:
    Zegerus T. de J. van Arkel, 31, warehouse porter, born Holland
    Harriet S. do, wife, 27, born Leicester
    Zegerus T. de J. do, son, 2 b. Middlesex Burdett Rd
    William T. de J. do, 8 mo., b. " "

RG 11/432, f.72, p.51

and finally (though still haven't got an Edward for you) Google suggests that the T. de J. stands for Theodorus de Jonge, which would explain why they settled on the name Young when they wanted to sound more English.

9. Huncamunca

But maybe I have without realising it?!? If the father Zegerus Theodorus de Jonge van Arkel was later known as Edward Theodore Young, then maybe the 2 year old Zegerus on the 1881 census is your missing Edward born about 1879?

Ma-dotcom, AnnB and mugwortismy cat like this.
  10. mugwortismy cat

Wow 8(:-)

You are good at this ;)

I understood perfectly, which is just as well as I already ate all the available chocolate (although I do have some toffee popcorn on standby) ... my laptop however threw a hissy fit and crashed :D

11. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Not only is she good at it - it's the speed she does it :cool:

Ann

12. mugwortismy cat

Agreed!

Also Ann I want to thank you for the lovely links you posted :cool:

Ma-dotcom, AnnB and Daft Bat like this.
  13. Huncamunca

Zegerus Theodor YOUNG and Harriet Sophia CATER married at St Peter's, Stepney in 1876: the register can be seen on Ancestry. He was a stoker, but signed beautifully and said his father William Theodor Young was a gentleman. Harriet's father Adam John Cater is shown as a musician. What an intriguing family!

Zegerus junior had his birth registered under the name Young (Mile End district, first quarter of 1879) but at least some of his siblings are registered as Van Arkel.

14. mugwortismy cat

been playing on FreeBMD with name variations and found some of that ... about to look out the marriage on Ancestry :D I like a good musician in the family :cool: stokers too ... my great grandfather and my grandfather were stokers ;)

Huncamunca likes this.
  15. Huncamunca

Coming back to Witney after that unexpected and very enjoyable detour . . .

I shall blame it on that cranky laptop of yours for putting George's name in instead of Horace's.

There is a tree on Ancestry which says that Horace was Laura's son. The source for that info is given as the Oxfordshire FHS CD of Witney parish registers. I think the registers of Holy Trinity, Wood Green, are on that CD as well as the ones for the ancient parish church of Witney St Mary. (Holy Trinity would have been nearer where they were living in 1911, i.e. in West End.) I'll look up the baptism next time I'm at the library.

Knight's 1916 directory of Witney is arranged street by street. Joseph Viner isn't at 50 West End any more. There is a J. Viner at 89d High Street, but that could be a different person. I'll have a more thorough look through the directory for other Viners: it will probably be tomorrow as I am sitting here in the dark now, and my low-energy lightbulbs take a long time to warm up.

16. mugwortismy cat

Thank you Huncamunca :) as if you hadn't already done enough !!

:oops: obviously the chocolate was not fully restorative ... :rolleyes:

17. mugwortismy cat

I've seen a Dutch genealogy website which lists 28 DE JONGH VAN ARKELs, though I think there is some repetition, there are some Zegerus Theodores that aren't mine, there was one in 1786 and one in 1864 (and maybe others)

(this from memory as each time I try to explore further my machine hangs/freezes -- probably not the websites fault but I am loath to try again or post a link)

FamilySearch has some DE JONGH VAN ARKELs in Holland and South Africa

Anyway, I just added a
    • Web: Netherlands, GenealogieOnline Trees Index, 1000-Current (in Dutch)
    to William Theodorus de Jongh van Arkel (b 1818 Holland, d 1890 Shoreditch) the father of Edward Theodore Young Sr, and I fear it's the equivalent of adding an Ancestry tree but hope not ... :nailbiting:

The 1786 Zegerus would be his father which makes sense

Huncamunca, AnnB and Ma-dotcom like this.
  18. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Came late to this, haven't you all had a lovely time.?
    I tried Irfanview but couldn't get any better views. I did think I saw
    c/o Miss Poole
    Ca----stock ? St...[St is the only part I'm sure of.] tall loops may be 'fs' or 'ls' even 'ts'.

Huncamunca and mugwortismy cat like this.
  19. mugwortismy cat

Yes, I thought I saw c/o Miss Poole once or twice, and St[reet], and maybe 86 -- but Witney, Oxon and Wife were the only parts I was really sure of

20. mugwortismy cat

When Luthera Catharina de Jongh van Arkel married in Dalston in 1884 she said her father was William de Jongh van Arkel Baronet

(the minister has written Yongh, Luthera and William who was a witness have clearly signed Jongh)

The groom was George Collingwood Banks, artist, his father George Linnaeus Banks, author

can't help feeling Zegerus/Edward was the black sheep of the family as a house painter/porter/stoker :D (though I am secretly on his side and proud of him of course)

Huncamunca likes this.