Edwin Kelland

Discussion in 'Worcestershire' started by Londoner, Feb 6, 2022.

1. Londoner

Londoner Will always roll up her sleeves and dig around

married in Dec 1865 Reg Worcester Vol 6c page 542.
    however at Family Search the record is shown as being in the Warwickshire Parish Records collection. Image only available through them or affiliate library.
    I need to find the name of the bride's father to prove she is who I think she is. (a granddaughter of my bankrupt brewer) although her age is out by 5 years in all later censuses she named one of her children the same as her brother and another Lottie could be for her mother or sister ( both Charlotte)
    Does anyone have access to the record? as I dont really want to have to get the certificate.

2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Looking through censuses on ancestry & clicked on Franci/es Kelland & 1851 census came up:- civil Pariah Hungerford, Berks'
    HO107; Piece: 1686; Folio: 329; Page: 31
    Richard Brooke 40
    Charlotte Brooke 47
    Charlotte E Brooke 19
    Sarah J Brooke 15
    Frances Brooke 13 -Bath, Somerset, England
    Richard Brooke 10
    Edwin J Brooke 6
    Frances Brooke
    Baptism 6 Aug 1837
    Baptism Place: Walcot St Swithin, Somerset, England
    Parish as it Appears: Walcot
    Richard & Charlotte Brooke.

3. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

must admit thats about same as I came by, nothing for the actual certificate nobody else had got one and put it online unfortunately, of course his second marriage after \frances died is online typical!
    I do think Wendy has right couple though.

4. Londoner

That is the family I am hoping it will be but I fear that the Ancestry algorithm may have brought up that census record because I made the link earlier. None of the other Kelland trees on Ancestry have parents for Frances. The certificate may be the only way to be certain.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  5. Sandiep

where have you got Edwin born please, was it Devon?

6. Londoner

yes. His family is well documented and I have him and Frances in censuses up to her death in 1895. but I have not found her in 1861, (when he is in Okehampton, an apprentice draper.) her parents died in 1851 and 1855 and she is not with any of her siblings in 1861.
    I imagine she adjusted her age because she was older than Edwin. Their first child was baptised in Bristol in Feb 1866 so must have been well on the way when they married! Possibly why they went to the Worcester area to marry. their place of residence on that baptism is Worcester!

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  7. Sandiep

well this might help or might not11

Frances mother I believe to be Charlotte Thornthwaite b 1803 Bath Somerset
    she married in 1831 to a Richard Brooke
    now they had a son Edwin Fitzherbert Brooke b 1844 father Richard a brewer and mother Charlotte.
    and I think he is Frances brother.
    I guess I have reached the "Leap of faith" time

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  8. Londoner

Absolutely! It was the Fitzherbert name that she gave her son, that made me think Frances Kelland nee Brooke must be the daughter of Richard and Charlotte. This Richard was the son of Richard the "bankrupt Brewer" and brother of my gt gt grandfather.
    It seems that the circumstantial evidence, the name and the lack of any other Frances Brooke born in the right timeframe, mean that we have arrived at the same conclusion.
    For a long time I thought she might have followed her older brother (also Richard) who went to S Africa and became a renowned Rev. And Dean of Cape Town. But now it looks like she stayed in England.

Sandiep and Ma-dotcom like this.