Eek!

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Auburn, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Auburn

Auburn Well-Known Member

After my father died I spent a lot of time researching his rather interesting family. Consequently I just did the bare bones of my mother's tree without going into all the interesting bits we all love.

I almost wish I hadn't.....
    Today I found that my gg grandfather remarried 3 months after his first wife died. He was 52-his new wife was 29. And she was his brother's daughter.
    They had 2 children- a boy who was born deaf & dumb & spent his life in various institutions and a girl who married but lost both her children in infancy.

Felt rather uncomfortable for a while afterwards.

2. Moff

Moff Well-Known Member

When my grandparents married on Christmas eve 1914, he was 59 and she was 28 - a 31-year age gap. I wonder if it was considered scandal, or whether there were more important things to consider? - like there was a war on.

dizzyme, Bay Horse and Auburn like this.
  3. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

There’s one of those uncle, niece marriages in hubby’s lot. Although he was an uncle by marriage so not a blood relative....still it’s a bit....

dizzyme, Bay Horse and Auburn like this.
  4. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

When my great grandfather married my great grand mother (his 3rd marriage) he was 51 and she 29, but they weren't related. He lied, on his marriage certificate he said he was 42.

dizzyme, Auburn and Findem like this.
  5. Auburn

Auburn Well-Known Member

It's not the age gap that bothers me so much as the uncle/niece thing.
    Can't help wondering if that's what led to the disabilitiy and death that followed.

My father's great grandmother married a second husband aged 24 years younger than her! It didn't last!

dizzyme and Chimp like this.
  6. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

My 3rd great grandfather married his great niece at the age of 64 when she was already 6 months pregnant with my 2nd great grandmother! I did wonder whether he was actually my ancestor or married to give her respectability as it were, but they did go on to have another child afterwards.

Janet

Auburn, dizzyme, Bay Horse and 3 others like this.