Electoral Registers

Discussion in 'Leicestershire' started by Nightryder, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Nightryder

Nightryder Well-Known Member

Im trying to search the register for Southfields Drive in the 1930's, but im stuck on knowing what area im supposed to be looking at, the birth cert i have states, Registration district Blaby, sub district of Enderby but there is no Blaby or Enderby in the lists, the full adress is 42 Southfields Drive Lubbesthorpe R.D, theres no Lubbesthorpe either, although I was born in Leicester ive lived most of my life here in Aus so I dont know Leicester well at all, does anyone know where I should be looking.

2. Bonzo Dog

Bonzo Dog Still the Mad Scientist?

Have no idea if this helps but according to a map of the area Southfields Drive is sort of midway between Aylestone and Wigston.

3. Nightryder

Thank you, Il see if either is in the list, although FMP is not playing well tonight, keeps loading blank pages:headbang:

4. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Is the family name BANKS?

5. Nightryder

No Jan it should be Quilter, this is my dads family,parents & siblings, I dont know when they moved there but they were there for the birth of the youngest child in 1930 & still there in Feb of 1932

Daft Bat likes this.
  6. Nightryder

Now that FMP is playing properly I have found them on the roll for 1930 & 1931.

Bonzo Dog, Daft Bat and Chimp like this.
  7. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

I had the same problem with FMP the other morning. "ooops we're having problems loading that page" I was getting quite annoyed (that's the polite version) :D

8. TonyV

TonyV He who cleans up after his ancestors...

Hi Nightryder

Maybe slightly off the point but Lubbesthorpe R.D. sounds wrong somehow. Lubbesthorpe is hardly more than farmland to the north and west of the village of Braunstone (albeit within Blaby District Council area these days). I can't imagine that Lubbesthorpe was ever a seat of local government - there is probably no building large enough to house council offices - just a few farm buildings.

Southfields Drive is between the Leicester suburbs of Aylestone and West Knighton which is a couple of miles from the area known as Lubbesthorpe. Even back in the 1930s Aylestone and Knighton were well developed suburbs of the city whereas the bit of Lubbesthorpe I used to walk around was and still is a gated road through fields. I'm not sure that Southfields Drive was ever in Blaby R D C area - the previous local authority - but I could be wrong.

Anyway you seem to found what you're looking for so what do I know?

Tony

Bonzo Dog and Sis like this.
  9. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

Questions about maps tend to attract my attention, so I've looked into this a bit. This page shows information about Lubbesthorpe and the local government units it has belonged to:
    Code:
    http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11139/units
    It appears to have been in Blaby Rural District, and it's quite common on old certificates for R.D. to be used meaning Rural District without the district being named at that point. (It also happens with U.D. and Urban Districts.) Possibly if the RD or UD shared its name with the registration district they didn't think it was necessary to name it again. Anyway, it means Lubbesthorpe in (whichever) Rural District, not that Lubbesthorpe had its own RD.

Next, the question of which parish Southfields Drive was in - and surprisingly, part of it was once in Lubbesthorpe. The first of the following maps shows most of Southfields Drive, with a parish boundary (black dotted line) crossing it and enclosing part of it. The line extends across the right hand edge of the map, and the adjacent map (second link) shows the name of that parish at the corresponding point in the left hand margin - Lubbesthorpe, in Blaby R.D.
    Code:
    https://maps.nls.uk/view/101592867

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101592882
    Finally, just to confirm, here's a parish boundary map from 1923. There's a narrow neck of Lubbesthorpe parish where it crosses the river and canal, then the part to the east (including Southfields Drive etc) looks to be nearly as big as the western part containing Lubbesthorpe itself.
    Code:
    http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/maps/sheet/county_diagrams_1920s/Leicester_1921_1929

Sis, Ma-dotcom, AnnB and 1 other person like this.
  10. TonyV

TonyV He who cleans up after his ancestors...

Hi Arthur

You live and learn - hopefully. I was not aware before your helpful reply that abbreviating RD or UD after a place name didn't necessarily mean that the RD or UD had that name.

My earlier post described what I knew of Lubbesthorpe pretty accurately and if you look at the old maps that Arthur linked to and others covering the area there is confirmation that Lubbesthorpe didn't even have a church. In fact it was apparently a civil parish rather than an ecclesiastical parish i.e. it was the lowest level of local government rather than the area managed by the vicar of a church.

Wikipedia confirms that it was made a civil parish in 1866 and that in 1921 it had a population of 118 people which both confirms my own memory that it was mainly farmland with only isolated farm buildings and no actual village and begs a question. "Why on earth does such an area need to be separately managed for local government purposes when nearby villages such as Braunstone or Enderby, etc. could have taken it in with no additional administrative burden to those charged with the responsibility of local governance.?"

Once again I apologise for this being off the original topic but hopefully Arthur's advice has helped others as much as it helped me.

Tony

arthurk, Daft Bat and Ma-dotcom like this.