Electoral Rolls

Discussion in 'British Electoral Rolls' started by MollyMay, Sep 30, 2021.

1. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Looking at the newly released Electoral registers, I found something rather strange, but might be useful to others.
    The transcription states it is "Register Type - Parliamentary Borough" Set "Electoral Registers 1910-1932", but appears to be something different. The year is 1919

My g.dad John Cotton is listed in the family home in Stepney, and also given is a column which is headed 'Description of Service, ship, Regiment, Number, Rank, Rating &c, or recorded address.
    Now I had no clue, or ever found any evidence, he had served, fathering children throughout the period of WW1 but he has a service #225682 Agric co against his name.

There are 2 other entries for 1919 which are 'standard' electoral entries, including his wife and MIL.

Anyone any ideas about what the Agric co was? Guessing Agricultural Company, but I have never come across that before.

Ah ha! looked properly, and it is 'Absent Voters List'

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    Sis and Jellylegs like this.
  2. PeterG

PeterG Well-Known Member

"Anyone any ideas about what the Agric co was?"

There were bodies called War Agricultural Committees set up at county level. I don't know how that might fit in though.

MollyMay likes this.
  3. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Taken from the website, The Long, Long Trail:
    I wonder if this was what your chap belonged to.

MollyMay likes this.
  4. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Thank you both.
    I did a bit of reading yesterday and came across the Long Long trail website and the Agricultural Companies - what I couldn't find was any branch that the number 225682 (given on the voter's list - if indeed that is the correct number for him) fell into.
    Stepney was hardly a prime agricultural area, but I guess he could have been involved in loading supplies onto the ship at the docks. He was a Billingsgate fish porter by trade (and in his 40's), so I had assumed in a protected occupation, but you learn something new every day:)