Electoral rolls

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Adam McGregor, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Adam McGregor

Adam McGregor Active Member

Hello,

I've heard that some areas of London kept electoral rolls, and I've got a few details already. I'm interested in addresses. Can anyone find:

Frank, Florence and Irene Pepper, living in Eltham and other areas of London in the early 1910s.
    Walter and Eva (or May) Goddard, living in Hornchurch in the 1930s.

I'd appreciate any help!

Adam

2. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

First thoughts are that Florence and Irene wouldn't be on an electoral roll as early as early 1910s?

Will have a gander.

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  3. Adam McGregor

No, of course not, I was just stating the members of the household so if you see say Florence and Irene together then you know that they're related.

4. Bay Horse

...was Frank American by birth?

5. Adam McGregor

He believed he was, but him and his sisters were born in Canada, before moving to Cambridge (where his parents came from) a year after he was born. Frank is in Llandudno, Wales in 1891, Lambeth in 1901, and Eltham in 1911. He disappears until his 1922 death in Ireland.

Bay Horse likes this.
  6. Bay Horse

Hmm, struggling to find them, not least because I am outside my geographical comfort zone.

I can't find Walter and May/Eva in the 30s. There is a Walter and Mary living in Edmonton, 1934.

There are a number of Frank Peppers in the London area, including one in Southwark around 1918. I can't find Florence.

7. Adam McGregor

Both families did move around quite frequently, so it's not totally unlikely. Thanks for looking anyway!

Bay Horse likes this.
  8. Adam McGregor

Could you give me the details of the Frank Peppers you found?

9. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman. Rest in Peace.

Deansfield Road, Eltham (1911) doesn't appear to be on Ancestry London Electoral Registers. I suspect it comes under Kent. I'll have a look around.

10. Adam McGregor

11. Flook

Unfortunately it's a modern myth that women couldn't vote and didn't appear on electoral registers until 1918. A lot of inexact writing this year has only reinforced this impression.

I have at least one woman in my family was on the electoral register in 1892 and lived 'in the worst part of Clerkenwell' and was clearly as poor as a church mouse.

What should have been said about 1918 is that it allowed women over 30 to vote in Parliamentary elections. Women, if appropriately qualified, could vote before this date in non-Parliamentary elections e.g. my GGG Aunt was qualified to vote in County elections.

Sis, Ma-dotcom, Bay Horse and 2 others like this.
  12. Flook

Sorry I haven't had any luck finding these names, although that doesn't mean that they're not out there somewhere. I've looked on the Findmypast electoral registers site as well, but that is rather selective.

You might have some luck with Hornchurch area addresses on SEAX as they hold the electoral registers for much of Essex.
    http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/Default.aspx

Bay Horse likes this.
  13. Flook

ON FMP in the 1939 Register there is the following entry>
    40 Godfrey Avenue, Hornchurch.
    Walter R Goddard, born 29 April 1902, Garage Hand - Mechanic
    Mary (Eva M) Goddard, Born 21 May 1905, Unpaid Domestic Duties
    There are 2 'closed entries' as well (their children?).

14. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Don't know whether this will help you in your search for the PEPPER family, Adam, but Irene was baptised as Florence Sarah Irene on 18 January 1903 at St Mary Newington, daughter of Frank & Florence PEPPER, Salesman, 27 Pullen Buildings, Penton Place. There is a marriage on the GRO Index in the March qtr 1935 at Finsbury reg district of a Florence S I PEPPER to a David LIPMAN. Irene & David LIPMAN are living at Suez Road, Cambridge in the 1939 Register.

Trying to trace the family, it looks as if Frank & Florence nee HARDING had another daughter whose birth (Tryphena Ivy Lavinia PEPPER) was registered in the December qtr 1904 in Croydon reg district. Her death was registered in the December qtr 1904 at Wandsworth reg district, so Frank's job as a Salesman obviously meant they moved around a fair bit. Frank & Florence are in the 1901 census of Lambeth living at 194 Wandsworth Road - Frank is also in the 1901 Electoral Register at the same address. 1908 & 1909 Electoral Registers of Woolwich shows a Frank PEPPER living at 2 Dumbreck Road, Eltham. 1910 Electoral Register of Woolwich shows Frank PEPPER living at 170 High Street, Eltham, 1911 Electoral Register shows him living at 19 Elibank Road, Eltham. Then it becomes somewhat more difficult. I would hazard a guess that the Frank PEPPER living at 77 De Laune Street, New Street, Southwark in the 1918 Electoral Register is the most likely candidate and he remains there until 1921. No, we can scrub out the De Laune Street Frank PEPPER as the 1919 Electoral Register shows that he was a Sergeant in the 1/4 Royal Buffs and there is a WW1 Military Service record for him and he was born c1892 at Fermoy, Ireland.

Back to square 1 at the moment after 1911 so I don't think I have helped you very much.

Janet

Bay Horse, Chimp, Sis and 1 other person like this.
  15. Bay Horse

Frank Pepper at 77 De Laune Street was Frank Ernest Pepper. He pops up a lot, military records and also a freemason. We were thinking along the same lines yesterday, particularly with the salesman thing. He could be anywhere.

Again, sorry I haven't been much help, Adam.

16. Adam McGregor

I know it’s two years overdue, but I’ve only just seen these posts! Thanks kindly to you both. Great to know a bit more about the childhood of my grandad’s mum.

Ma-dotcom and janetbooth like this.