Elizabeth Jane Smith

Discussion in 'Norfolk' started by mugwortismy cat, Oct 26, 2020.

1. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

daughter of Emma Wiseman and George Smith (now it turns out they are sister and brother to Clara Wiseman and Charles Smith from my recent thread)

Emma and George married Mar 1880 in the Depwade district of Norfolk, probably Tharston which is George's birthplace

In the 1881 census they are in Langley Wood, Wiltshire where George is a gamekeeper, with a 3 month old Elizabeth; Elizabeth's baptism at Redlynch gives their abode as Hampworth

In 1891 they are back in Norfolk at Thetford and George is now a Blacksmith; in fact they stopped off first at Tharston where William Edward was born 18 June 1882, followed by Harriet Maria (1887) and Thomas George (8 Dec 1889) both in Thetford. On this census Elizabeth Jane's birthplace is given as Doulton, Wiltshire -- which I have taken to mean Downton, Wiltshire being the nearest sizable place to Langley Wood/Redlynch.

Both Emma and Harriet die in 1892; George remarries later that year to Mary Bella Jer(r)old nee Newell

So you see Elizabeth has several possible places in Wiltshire she could use as her birthplace, and in trying to find her in 1901 I have tried them all. Then I thought she was still very young when her family moved back to Norfolk, so perhaps Tharston or Thetford are where she believes she was born.

So the best I can do is an Elizabeth Smith born 1880 Norfolk (no town given) a servant in Narborough (about 25 miles from Thetford). Can anyone else find better?

And can we find out what happens to her after 1901? I'm hoping the 1907 marriage in Kings Lynn is her, it's not far from Narborough, so I am off to investigate that :)

2. mugwortismy cat

Well scrap that census and marriage, it would appear to be Elizabeth Jane Smith of Gaywood (Freebridge Lynn district) daughter of William Robert and Mary Ann, with a sister Jemima

Drat :(

3. mugwortismy cat

Ok, the census could still be right, as I think I have found the Elizabeth Jane from post #2 with family in 1901

4. mugwortismy cat

i've cracked it (I think) it's only taken three days :rolleyes:--- I have found an Elizabeth Whitham in 1911, married to Tom, born Thetford Norfolk.

In Dec 1900 N Bierley, Yorkshire is a marriage with Tom Whitham and Elizabeth Jane Smith two of the possibilities

Having no idea where to look for her I had stayed close to home and certainly not considered Yorkshire.

Edit: I've found the marriage online and her father is George a blacksmith