Elizabeth Rowledge to Wager and possibly CHILD

Discussion in 'Middlesex' started by The Artful Dodger, Jun 28, 2020 at 9:43 PM.

1. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

The pest is back with another dead end!!
    Elizabeth is my 4th great aunt and was approx age 23 when she married Thomas Wager on 31 May 1830 @ All Saints, Fulham. During their 47 years of marriage, they had [found] 8 children - 5 daughters and 3 sons.

2 sons and 1 daughter were born before the 1841 census - Thomas, Charles and Elizabeth Mary - however I cannot locate the family in 1841.
    The 2 sons died before 1851 census and I have the family in 1851, 1861 and 1871 on Silver Street, Kensington.

Thomas died in 1877 in Fulham 2nd q. I have not found a burial record.

So, I've been looking for a death of Elizabeth. I doubt that she left the area after the death of Thomas, so have concentrated on the area of Fulham and Kensington an area of about 2miles and have not found a suitable death between 1871 and 1890.

Ancestry has tossed up a burial of an Elizabeth CHILD on 10 Feb. 1879 @ the London and Westminster Cemetery, Earl's Court, Old Brompton. Elizabeth resided @ 14 Moore Park Road, Fulham. Could this be my Elizabeth?

I cannot find a marriage of Elizabeth Wager to a Mr. Child. I cannot find a death of an Elizabeth Child to match this burial record so I'm at a dead end.

Any suggestions

2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

No luck here either Colin, however she was buried in a private reopened grave so it may be posible to see who else is interred there. 1879 burial Elizth Child.JPG
    Eliz. Child burial 1879.JPG

3. Andromeda

Andromeda New Member

Thomas's burial is on deceased online, but as Elizabeth doesn't come up in a search it doesn't look like she's buried with him

The Artful Dodger likes this.
  4. Andromeda

Andromeda New Member

Elizabeth Child's death is registered as Childs:
    CHILDS, ELIZABETH aged 72
    GRO Reference: 1879 M Quarter in FULHAM Volume 01A Page 208

5. Ma-dotcom

I did wonder if she had lived with a person or family named Childs & was buried as such by someone not knowing her real name. Haven't found any of her children marrying Childs either.

6. Ma-dotcom

Just a thought, I've looked at the address where Elizabeth is said to have lived at time of her death, 14 Moore Park Rd, Fulham, [nice looking place now] if someone with FMP could look up that address in 1871 & 1881 to see if people there ring any bells, it may give a clue. It doesn't look like a hospital or similar.

7. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

In 1871 14 Moore Park Road, Fulam was unoccupied.

Just going to see if I can find it in 1881......

In 1881 surnames of those living at number 14 were (as transcribed) Chansen, Fillan, Martin and Rees.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020 at 2:25 AM
    The Artful Dodger and Ma-dotcom like this.
  8. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

I wonder if she went to live or was visiting with a relative, possible daughter or son.
    1875 has the death of Elizabeth WAGONER June 1875 age 69 (1806) Preston Lancs.
    Lancashire OPC has her burial, death at Whittingham Asylum and buried at St Mary the Virgin 9/4/1875.
    Have tried to find an Elizabeth WAGONER in 1871...no luck. Not that shes not there but I cant see her. Worth a thought.

9. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

Deceasedonline have a burial record for a Thomas Wager in 1877 at Kensington and Chelsea. I don't have any credits, so can't look up the details for you. I haven't found a burial for him on any of the other subscription sites.

10. Ma-dotcom

I also checked for short trips to Neww York as Clara & Mary H. travelled togather in 1874 on the Minnesota. Haven't found their return yet but they both died in England. Clara wa living with Emma in Ramsgate both on independant means

11. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Have you discounted Eliza Wager - London City 1c 52 Mar. qtr 1879 age 67.
    the age is bit awry, but I cannot see an Eliza Wager on the 1871 census (only your Elizabeth).

12. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

This was at Kensal Green Cemetery, unfortunately the only other details (apart from the year of 1877) in what appears to be just an index, is the 'abode' which was Shepherd Bush.

13. The Artful Dodger

This was useful, Wendy. Thomas and Elizabeth had 5 daughters - Elizabeth Mary [1840], Emma [1843], Sarah [1848], Mary Hannah [1851] and Clara [1855].
    On FMP I found that Emma and Mary H. went to the U.S on 15 Oct 1874 on board Minnesota. The records are transcripts only and Emma's age is given as 26 and Mary H. age was 20.
    I didn't find Clara among the list on FMP.

I found Emma and Clara in 1911 in Ramsgate and it would appear that Emma died in Ramsgate in December 1920 and according to "deceased online" she was laid to rest in Kensington and Chelsea. Clara died in Ramsgate 29 July 1928. According to probate records Administration was granted in London 31 December 1928 to 2 men neither of whom would appear to be related.

I acquired an Ancestry hint for a Clara Wager going to the U.S. on the Minnesota on 15 October 1874, This turned out to include the passenger manifest. A few names above Clara were my Emma and Mary Hannah.
    What was interesting about this Clara was her age which was 17 and the 2 people travelling with her were a Mrs Wager [Matron] age 39] and Elizabeth age 29 [Spinster]. I have no idea how to unmix this mess.

14. The Artful Dodger

Thank you, Ann B and Jellylegs. That at least confirms the death and burial of Thomas. I believe that Kensall Green Cemetery is located on the Harrow Road in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. It appears to be a huge plase with over 250,00 individuals in 65,000 so my chances of finding his grave is next to impossible!!

15. The Artful Dodger

I did find and Elizabeth Wagoner in 1871 living as a Lodger and unmarried age 66 in Southwark occupation Charwoman. This sort of could be her in relation to her being somewhat destitute, but I think I can discount her.

16. The Artful Dodger

There was an Elizabeth Childs in 1861 census living with husband Charles in Richmond upon Thames. She was aged 54 [born c. 1807] and was from Lynn, Norfolk.
    Charles died and was buried 26 November 1866.

My gut tells me this is his widow.

17. Ma-dotcom

Colin, I'm sorry I forgot to mention that Sarah Wager Married

Marriages Dec 1873
    BROWNRIDGE Henry Joseph + Wager Sarah -- Kensington 1a-201
    It was her husband mentioned in probate & I tink her son Albert.
    1911-: RG14; Piece: 144

Name: Sarah Brownridge
    Register Type: Burial
    Death Date: abt 1928
    Burial or Cremation Date: 5 1928
    Burial or Cremation Place: Kensington and Chelsea, London, England

Sadly I deleted all of my 'copious' notes on the family last night, thinking I'd told you everything. I got involved with another family,then had a minor calamity with an external drive. so my mind wasn't on anything but that.
    I'm glad you found the shipping manifest, I missed the 2 Elizabeths & yet that was the name I was looking for.

Mrs Wager may have been the wife of James, whom I didn't find with any certainty.

18. The Artful Dodger

The period of 13 Nov. 1927 to 23 Jul. 1928 was a rough time for the children of Brownridge in that they lost both parents and an aunt.

I am a little curious about Henry Joseph being mentioned in Probate as he was deceased several moths before Clara. Could the surviving Administrator go it alone who would someone else have been appointed?

In the 1911 census Henry Joseph certainly give anything away - his wife and the childrenat home were all of Full Age.