Elizabeth Tozer

Discussion in 'Devonshire' started by Adam McGregor, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Adam McGregor

Adam McGregor Active Member

Hello,

I know very little of Elizabeth Tozer. She married William Kerswell Wyatt in Plymouth in 1828, and claimed to be born in Staverton around 1809. There was one Elizabeth there, but she married a man surname Ellis if memory serves, meaning this was a dead end. However, having ordered the birth certificates of all her children, twice it gives her a middle name. I think it says Norman or Noman but I’m not sure. I can find no records of an Elizabeth Noman Tozer. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Adam

Attached Files:

2. Adam McGregor

I found a marriage between a John Tozer and an Ann Norman in Littlehempston (2 miles from Staverton) in 1810. Perhaps Elizabeth was born illegitimate and her parents married later?

3. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Elizabeth Norman TOZER was baptised at Staverton on 28th July 1811 to parents John and Ann. It is on FMP.

:)

Bay Horse and Adam McGregor like this.
  4. Adam McGregor

Thanks! That’s terrific!

Daft Bat likes this.
  5. Adam McGregor

Can anyone find a burial for either of them? I’ve only found the bishop’s transcripts record on FamilySearch (my FMP membership having just lapsed), so I don’t know the parishes of John or Ann.

6. Adam McGregor

Looking at the 1851 Census, there’s a farming couple John and Ann Tozer living in Plympton St. Mary, which would explain how William Wyatt (himself a Plympton farmer) and Elizabeth Tozer would’ve been acquainted.

Bay Horse likes this.
  7. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

A lot of Wyatts, a fair few Tozers around that neck of the woods. Just checking your William to make sure he's not one of mine (he's not).

Both Elizabeth and William were 'of this parish', ie. St. Andrew's, Plymouth, at the time of their wedding. Witnesses were John Tozer (your man above?) and a Cecilia Tozer (a sister? Can't find her).

Adam McGregor likes this.
  8. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

Burial for an Elizabeth Wyatt of Venton (again, very common name), age 22, at Cornwood in 1834. Just throwing that into the mix.

Adam McGregor likes this.
  9. Adam McGregor

I’ve got the Wyatts all sorted already with certainty (back to 1752) but it’s this new branch of Tozer that I’m investigating as of today (having found two certificates naming Elizabeth by her full name of Elizabeth Norman Wyatt, formerly Tozer). Other that her parents’ marriage in 1810, I don’t know where they came from or died. Elizabeth was buried in Plympton St. Maurice in 1871 if memory serves.

Bay Horse likes this.
  10. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

According to their marriage record at Little Hempston on FMP, they were both of the parish of Little Hempston. There are a couple of baptisms at Little Hempston on FMP, one in 1816 for a Mary Anne daughter of John & Anne TOZER and the other in 1819 for a John Bennett. In both cases the father's occupation is shown as Farmer & Yeoman.

1851 census of Stoke Damerel St Aubyn (HO107/1881, folio 149, page 44) shows a John TOZER, aged 62, Dairyman, born Little Hempston, wife Ann, aged 59, born Little Hempston, unmarried son Henry, aged 18, Shipwright, born Devonport, married daughter Mary Ann, born Little Hempston, and her daughter Mary A. Perhaps worth further investigation?? John & Ann are still living in Stoke Damerel in the 1861 census.

FMP shows Ann NORMAN baptised 17 July 1791 at Little Hempston and John TOZER baptised 19 July 1789 at Broad Hempston.

National Probate Calendar shows that John TOZER late of Plymouth, Dairyman, died on 29 November 1870 and probate was granted to his widow Ann. Obtaining a copy of the Will may prove that this John TOZER was the father of your Elizabeth.

Janet

11. Adam McGregor

That’s great! Thanks! How would I order the will? I’ve searched the will and probate records many times before, but never ordered one.

12. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

13. Adam McGregor

Thanks Chimp!

Chimp likes this.