Emma Venner born 1843- daughter of William Venner and Susan Pellow

Discussion in 'Cornwall' started by Genie1, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

I believe that the above married William Hoar in 1863 in the Liskeard district.
    If she is correct I have found her
    1851 at New Bridge, Lezant, Launceston, Cornwall with parents and siblings.
    1861 at Stoke Climstead occupation servant.
    1871 at Church Street, Liskeard, Cornwall with husband and children.
    1881 at Church Street, Liskeard Old Municipal Borough, Liskeard, Cornwall with husband and children.
    1891 at Castle Lane, Liskeard Borough, Liskeard, Cornwall with children.
    She disappears in 1901 and I can't find a death.
    1891 her husband isn't there though Emma is married and by then she has a son named John Philips Hoar born 1886.
    The children of William and Emma are
    Frederick born 1866.It is possible he is living in Liskeard with wife Laura and children in 1891 but I can't find him after that.
    Henry born 1867. Living with parents in 1881 and disappears after that.
    John Philips born is with his mother and sister Ellen in 1891 and disappears after.
    Mary Ellen 1869 may have married Henry Thomas Tamblyn in 1896 in the Liskeard district. I have found them in 1901 and 1911.

2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

How about Emma Louisa Hoar buried Liskeard age 48 8/1/1893 (1845)

Sis likes this.
  3. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

No birth of Emma Louise Venner so may be they added a name!
    Found a burial on CornwallOPC 8 Jan 1893 age 48,so a couple of years out. Residence Borough.Liskeard.

4. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Am I missing something here - always a possibility - but I cannot find a marriage on the GRO Index for a William HOAR (or variants) to an Emma VENNER in 1863. I can find one in the December qtr 1866 at Liskeard for a William HOAR probably to an Emma BATH and another in March qtr 1863 at Launceston of an Emma VENNER to either Richard HOAR or James BENNETTS. I think Emma married Richard HOAR as there is a James BENNETTS married to a Martha in the 1871 census of Stoke Climsland and the other female name on the marriage registration in 1863 was a Martha PEARCE. I must admit I am slightly confused trying to find the mother's maiden name of the children of William & Emma HOAR as the two I have found, Fred in 1866 & Mary in 1869, both at Liskeard, seem to have different mother's maiden names, DONEY for Fred & HOCKING for Mary, neither of which seem to fit with William's marriage registration.

There is a birth registration in the March qtr 1865 at Launceston reg district of an Alfred HOAR, mother's maiden name VENNER, and he is in the 1871 census of Lezant, Cornwall (RG10/2227, folio 67, page 19) shown as the nephew of head of household William GARTERELL, his wife Hannah and family, who coincidentally are the next household down from William & Susanna VENNER. He is the only HOAR birth registration I can find between 1861 & 1871 with a mother's maiden name of VENNER.

I cannot find Emma HOAR in the 1871 census but have found a marriage at Stoke Climsland (available to view on Ancestry) on 11 January 1870 of a Richard HOARE, widower, to a Mary Ann HALLETT, spinster, and they appear on the 1871 census onwards, so could Emma HOAR nee VENNER have died prior to 1870?? This might explain why Alfred HOAR is with his uncle and aunt in the 1871 census of Lezant. Not that I can find a death registration for Emma - so far.

Janet

Sis likes this.
  5. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Phew! Well done Janet!:)

dizzyme likes this.
  6. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

That is interesting.
    Although they have Alfred as a Nephew and live near William and Susanna Venner maybe Hannah is a great aunt to him because in the tree there is a Hannah Venner the daughter of John Venner and Elizabeth Coombe marrying William Gartrell.

7. janetbooth

Could well be. Relationships in earlier times do seem to be quite fluid and in many cases not as we would define them nowadays.

Janet

8. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Absolutely. My great grandfather had an "Aunt" that I could not find. It turned out to be his father's cousin...:confused:

dizzyme likes this.
  9. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

CornwallOPC has a death of Alfred Hoar in 1872 at Stoke Climsland, age age 8. Address is Newbridge.
    Possibly the same Alfred?
    Anyway,I will have to get rid of William and the children that I seem to have added incorrectly.
    Such fun.:)

10. janetbooth

The relationship of "cousin" seems to be the one most used in my lot and it can mean absolutely anything!

Janet

dizzyme and Daft Bat like this.