Emmanuel Howard, father of Emmanuel Howard. b. 1717

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Murfomurf, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Murfomurf

Murfomurf Well-Known Member

Emmanuel Howard Sr produced Emmanuel Howard Jr in 1717 [FamilySearch FHL 417190] with the assistance of an unknown female, presumably his wife. They lived around Bishops Offley/Adbaston/Eccleshall in Staffordshire as shown by later generations. Despite searching far and wide including FreeReg and FamilySearch I cannot locate records for this family. I have fingers crossed that some kind human can find them in FMP or elsewhere.

2. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Emanuel Howard (age 24 b1682) of Uttoxeter married Elizabeth Bailey (age 27 b1679) of Eccleshall by licence dated 7/12/1706 no place of marriage given on the licence - He batchelor, she spinster, he made his mark.

There is a marriage listed 7/12/1706 at Caverswall between Emanuel Howard and Elizabeth Bailey

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    Murfomurf and Daft Bat like this.
  3. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

There is also this birth at Uttoxeter 4/2/1708 Henry Howard s/o Emmanuel

Murfomurf and Archie's Mum like this.
  4. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

No mother’s name is given for Emmanuel Jr, who was baptised on 25th March 1717 at Holy Trinity Church, Eccleshall.

There is a burial for an Emmanuel HOWARD on 13th March 1791, but as no age is given, there cannot be confirmation that this was Emmanuel Jr, who would have been aged 74. He had been living in Horsley, which is mentioned in this GENUKI page about the area.

There is a marriage between an Emmanuel HOWARD and a Mary CAPEY (it looks like) that took place on 17th September 1740 in All Saints Church, Dilhorne. It says that both were living in the parish – Dilhorne is about 15 miles from Eccleshall.

There is also a marriage between an Emmanuel HOWARD and Sarah RIGBY at St Mary’s Uttoxeter that took place on 30th June 1746. Again, both were living in the parish – Uttoxeter is about 20 miles from Ecleshall.

Finally, we have a marriage between Emmanuel HOWARD and Ann WALTON at Holy Trinity, Eccleshall that took place on 3rd January 1756. Again, both were living in the parish.

Take your pick! :D

Murfomurf and MollyMay like this.
  5. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Also a possible brother for Emmanuel, Henry 1708 Uttoxeter, father Emmanuel

Murfomurf and MollyMay like this.
  6. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Oops. Done it again.
    An Edward in 1724 but perhaps a bit late.

MollyMay likes this.
  7. Murfomurf

Thank you all for the interesting contributions. I hadn't seen the Caverswall marriage and it fits the ages of the children. Ann Walton was rumoured to be the wife of Emmanuel by several punters and I was hesitating over Mary Capey. Now you have given me MORE to choose from- gee, thanks! I will try several combinations in the tree and see what transpires. Thank you again- the head spins when confronted with all the possibilities! The best I can do is leave notes in the margins on my tree and hope for eager helpers.

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  8. Andromeda

Andromeda New Member

First post, so still finding my way around, but in case it helps there is a burial at Eccleshall 12 Mar 1766, Elizabeth wife of Emmanuel Howard, Garmelow

GrannyBarb, Murfomurf, Sis and 3 others like this.
  9. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Welcome in Andromeda. C|:-)

Andromeda likes this.
  10. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

The Marriage Licence in 1756 for the marriage of Emanuel HOWARD & Ann WALTON states that they were both of the parish of Eccleshall, he being aged 35 and she aged 24, which fits in pretty well with the baptismal record for Emanuel jnr. There is a baptism at Uttoxeter in 1721 for an Emanuel HOWARD son of Thomas & Anna, so this could perhaps be the Emanuel who married Sarah RIGBY at Uttoxeter in 1746? This couple seem to remain in Uttoxeter, as there are baptisms for several children to them from 1747 onwards. The Emanuel HOWARD & Mary COPEY marriage at Dilhorne in 1740 states that they were both of the parish, which could again indicate that they may have hailed from Dilhorne.

Baptism at Adbaston on 28 December 1757 for Sarah daughter of Emanuel & Ann HOWARD of Bishops Offley, which you probably already know about. She may well have married a William MATTHEWS at Adbaston on 12 April 1778.

There is a burial at Eccleshall on 28 May 1810 for an Ann HOWARD of Hay which could be relevant to you. Also a burial at Eccleshall on 27 October 1766 for an Emanuel HOWARD of Garmelow, aged 88, which would tie in nicely with the burial for Elizabeth HOWARD that Andromeda found for you wouldn't it. If so, it may indicate that the burial at Eccleshall in 1791 for Emanuel that Jan found for you could be Emanuel jnr.

Janet

Murfomurf, Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  11. Murfomurf

That looks like a great integration of my old information with the new, including the burial from @Andromeda! I will put all this together and see if it dovetails with the rest of my tree. Thank you to all contributors! :)

Daft Bat likes this.