Enoch Brereton

Discussion in 'Staffordshire' started by Peregrine, Aug 29, 2021.

1. Peregrine

Peregrine Well-Known Member

I am chasing an Enoch Brereton born in Apr quarter 1898 at Tunstall (near Stoke on Trent) to Richard Livesley Brereton and his wife Sarah Ann née Cook. It looks like he married a Hannah Ball in Oct 1925 at Stoke on Trent (Vol 6b, Page 182) but I’d like to find them in the 1939 census to confirm and have not found them. It also looks like he died at Stoke on Trent in 1941 in the Apr quarter (Vol 6b, Page 246). But I have not found any other death related records (burial, probate etc.) to confirm it is him.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

There were 3 births registered with the surname BRERETON and the MMN of BALL in Stoke on Trent RD in 1927, 1828 and 1931, which could confirm the marriage.

I have not found these in 1939, which means that they could either still be alive or not unredacted yet.

Peregrine likes this.
  3. Daft Bat

This does not help with finding them in 1939, but there is the death in Stoke RD, June quarter 1941 of a 43 year old Enoch BRERETON, which would fit with a birth in 1898, which you mentioned above.

Following on from this, there is a marriage for what looks like the youngest daughter (b 1931) in Stoke in September quarter 1953 (9b/1363)

Then, in 1987, in Staffs Moors (Staffordshire Moorlands) RD, is a death of a Hannah BRERETON. This gives a DOB of 30th July 1896. I checked this against 1939 but no joy there either.

However, all of this – if correct – indicates that the family stayed in the area the whole time.

Ma-dotcom and Peregrine like this.
  4. Daft Bat

I have followed through all 3 children and found their marriages - and deaths.

They all took place in Staffordshire.

5. Daft Bat

Woo-hoo! Found them in 1939! (+)(^^)(+)

Living at 17 Young Street, Chell, Stoke-On-Trent, Staffordshire.

It’s a right pig’s ear as the handwriting is awful. I found them through their eldest daughter, Nora, who married a chap named POTTS. I found her death in 1996, which gave her birth date of 9th December 1926.

On FMP, she has been transcribed as POTTS (BRE?) :headbang:

Enoch is down as BURTON. He is a Coal Hewer (below ground).

Hannah is down as CROSS, with BRERETON crossed through – not that you can read it clearly... :sceptical: It looks like she married a George W CROSS in Stoke in 1948, which means that the death for Enoch is the correct one. She was born 7th April 1906. So ignore the death that I found for Hannah in 1987.

I am unable to read Enoch’s dob as a piece of sticky tape had been across the entry at some point and removed some of the writing. :headbang: Perhaps someone with the means of playing around with the light and dark resolution would be able to help.

The next 2 entries are redacted, so that’s the next 2 daughters. :)

Phew! :D

6. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

upload_2021-8-29_8-55-58.png

Looks like 6 April to me

Edit - Nora is 'Burston' on Anc.

Daft Bat likes this.
  7. Peregrine

I found the three daughters thank you. Working through the rest of the info.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  8. Peregrine

I found three marriages for the daughters but realise that I had the wrong one for Norah; I had her marrying a Thomas Broad, but see that was another Nora born in 1911. Will try to find the marriage to Potts now.