Fabricated father

Discussion in 'Illegitimacy' started by TonyV, Mar 11, 2021.

1. TonyV

TonyV He who cleans up after his ancestors...

Way back in the mists of time Daft Bat posted a useful guide (now a Sticky) to illegitimacy and under the heading Marriage Certificates she said 'You may find that your illegitimate babe grew up to marry and named a father on their marriage certificate. This might be a complete fabrication so as to show respectability, but sometimes there is an element of truth......."

I have an ancestor who was almost certainly illegitimate but who, when he married, named a father (with the same surname) and his occupation. Try as I may I cannot find the alleged father in BMD or census records. I wondered therefore whether inventing fathers, as Daft Bat suggests, was quite common?

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  2. Doug

Doug Administrator. The Main Man. Staff Member

My grandfather was illegitimate and invented a father for the marriage certificate.

He married twice and had a different name on each certificate.

Half Hour, Sis, Ma-dotcom and 4 others like this.
  3. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Perhaps he was deliberately leaving a clue. :)

Half Hour, Sis, Doug and 2 others like this.
  4. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

My great grandfather was illegitimate and used his grandfather's name on his marriage certificate, he was bought up by his grandparents. As far as I can work out I think he knew he was not his father. But it has confused a few people in Ancestry trees that obviously haven't researched properly.

Ma-dotcom, Findem and Daft Bat like this.
  5. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

I had the same sort of circumstance as Sis above. My grandmother was illegitimate and named her grandfather as her father on her marriage certificate. It caused me no end of problems when I first started my research - I was a lot greener then - because I had correspondence where she actually referred to her grandparents as her parents and a newspaper article confirming that supposed fact. Mind you, her mother died of meningitis when she was only an infant, so she may well have believed that her grandparents were indeed her parents.

Janet

burt, Sis and Daft Bat like this.
  6. Nelli

Nelli Well-Known Member

Seems this is quite common. My husband has an ancestor who listed her grandfather as her father on her marriage certificate

Sis and Daft Bat like this.
  7. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

My gr. grandmother named her uncle and no matter what I say and also show the birth registration one family member still insists that is her father. Doesn't help that the census taker put her down as a daughter in one census. She was living with her grandparents and uncle at the time.

Bay Horse, Sis and Daft Bat like this.
  8. Andromeda

Andromeda Member

Snap.

Half Hour likes this.
  9. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

Yes, I've come across it too.

The bit I couldn't fathom out was that he claimed he knew who his father was, but made a different one up anyway.

janetbooth and Daft Bat like this.
  10. TonyV

TonyV He who cleans up after his ancestors...

Thanks everyone for your very helpful confirmation of my suspicion. I don't believe that the "father" was anything more than an invention and not in this case a grandfather.

Bay Horse, Daft Bat and Sis like this.