Fallen in a swamp re Phillips family

Discussion in 'Worcestershire' started by Peregrine, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Peregrine

Peregrine Well-Known Member

I have Harriet Phillips marrying Thomas Phillips at Tenbury, Worcestershire in the Apr – Jun quarter of 1866. Thomas, the son of John Phillips and Mary Anne Saunders was born about 1817 at Bockleton, Worcestershire and his father, John was a farmer of a farm of about 200 to 250 acres at Lower Grafton near Bockleton.

Most trees give Harriet’s parents as William Phillips (1793-1836) and Sophia Barnes (1796-1883) who supposedly married on 2 Nov 1819 at St Peters, Worcestershire (sic ). And herein lies the rub: I cannot find a marriage for a William Phillips to a Sophia Barnes I can only find a marriage for a William Phillips to a Mary Ann Barnes on 2 Nov 1819 at St. Peter, Worcester, Worcestershire (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N29H-2H7).

But Sophia Phillips can be found in the 1841, 1851 and 1861 together with Harriet Phillips and some other siblings; in 1871 Sophia is living with Thomas and Harriet and in 1881 she is a lodger (and retired farmer) living with a widow named Susannah Tyler in Tenbury. I have not found Thomas and Harriet in 1881 but I have found Thomas in 1891 as a lodger and retired farmer living on his own means with a family named Yarranton at Tenbury.

I am confused to say the least: has Mary Anne changed her name to Sophia or do I have a mix-up of individuals here? There are other issues too but that's enough for now; although I must advise in advance that I also wonder whether Thomas and Mary Anne/Sophia are cousins?

Can anyone pull me out of this swamp?

2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

1871 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
    Quinton, Upper, Bockleton, Tenbury, Worcestershire, England
    Thomas Phillips Head-50 b.1821 -Bockleton, Worcestershire, England
    Harriet Phillips Wife -42 b.1829-Tenbury Worcestershire, England
    Sophia Phillips Mother-In-Law-75 b.1796-Tenbury Worcestershire, England
    Thomas Phillips Lodger Widower Male 60 1821 Retired Farmer Bockleton, Worcestershire, England
    Home of James Mills b.1842 Cradley Heredfordshire.
    RG11/2906/136/9
    Deaths Sep 1874
    PHILLIPS Harriet 46 Tenbury 6c 137

3. Peregrine

Peregrine Well-Known Member

Thanks Wendy, missed those events somehow.

Ma-dotcom likes this.