Family Name Patterns ... A Salutory Tale

Discussion in 'Research Hints' started by kernowmaid, May 19, 2014.

1. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Well-Known Member

My 86-yr old aunt dropped a bombshell last week: "Oh I don't know, you'll have to ask Philomena." It turns out that aunty has an 86-year old cousin (daughter of my gran's sister) - who I didn't know was still around. So I plucked up my courage and rang her.

Lovely lady, bright as a button. I told her that I'd had problems finding her birth record - was she christened "Mary C Philomena"?

"Oh yes. I was taken to be christened Caroline Mary, but my great-uncle Tom was the priest and he decided it should be Mary Caroline. And he added Philomena because he liked the name."

Moral of this story - don't discount someone just because their name hasn't appeared in the family before. And always blame the priest!

Jane

Sandiep, Libby, LianeH and 13 others like this.
  2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

One only has to peruse some baptismal images to agree whole-heartedly with you Kernowmaid.

3. Di Maloney

Di Maloney New Member

Having just joned the forum, my great grandmother was always known as Mary Eleanor/Ellen Jones Born 1863South Australia. When I applied for her birth certificte there was no Mary Eleanor/Ellen Jones but I didn't give up because she had to be there. I contacted the SA Family & Historical group and they found her registered as Eleanor Anne Jones. We never did find out why she changed it.

Sis likes this.
  4. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Welcome to Top Dog Di C|:-), hope you have fun :)

Oh, I see you've been a member for a while :oops:

5. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

Hi Di C|:-) Welcome to the Top Dog community.